• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hey there!

I’ve been around the hobby for about two years— but I also work for a living in the hobby! I’ve worked with a rather large variety of species/genres; both Old and New Worlds.

But my personal collection are what I take the greatest pride in, haha. I prefer to stick with US native Aphonopelma and aim to do a lot of breeding work, of which I’ve already started up a few project species. I look forwards to seeing everyone else’s collections!

Here is a picture of my very favorite perfect girl “Faelen”— Aphonopelma paloma. The absolute pride of my collection, haha. This species is beyond beautiful even with their small size. Though, I do genuinely believe that the whole genus is vastly under appreciated. ;)

Nice to meet you all!

Attachments

• 51C4CBB3-DB47-4CDB-835E-DE4CF73E5B4F.jpeg
    51C4CBB3-DB47-4CDB-835E-DE4CF73E5B4F.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 15

Noodlelove

I'm so happy you're on the boards. I'm very new to the hobby. I love spiders. Always have but haven't gotten to know scientific names and species all that much. I had no idea about this species. Species. Thank you so much for sharing such a beautiful creature and species.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Oh, I live one state away in Maine, but in terms of tarantula keeping a world away. Only three species of tarantulas (G. rosea, pulchra, pulchripes) are unrestricted here, meaning they are legal for the average person to own.

Noodlelove

Oh, I live one state away in Maine, but in terms of tarantula keeping a world away. Only three species of tarantulas (G. rosea, pulchra, pulchripes) are unrestricted here, meaning they are legal for the average person to own.
Wow. Only three species? It seems like Maine would have enough cold weather to not allow invasiveness. What do you think it's about?

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Well, Maine does have spiders - but no tarantulas - that manage to survive the winters , so I think that the state is very cautious about it. Maybe too cautious. And I think there have been cases of invasive plants and some insects and fish that have raised concerns. I have mentioned this before, but Maine did not have ticks until the 1980s when they likely hitched ridees on other animals.

I'm so happy you're on the boards. I'm very new to the hobby. I love spiders. Always have but haven't gotten to know scientific names and species all that much. I had no idea about this species. Species. Thank you so much for sharing such a beautiful creature and species.
Thank you for the welcome!
This is a moderately difficult species to get ahold of as to the best of my knowledge, they’ve never been CB. I hope to change that with the specimens that I have!

Noodlelove

Well, Maine does have spiders - but no tarantulas - that manage to survive the winters , so I think that the state is very cautious about it. Maybe too cautious. And I think there have been cases of invasive plants and some insects and fish that have raised concerns. I have mentioned this before, but Maine did not have ticks until the 1980s when they likely hitched ridees on other animals.
That's a real bummer about ticks. Ticks are disgusting. I definitely think they're being extremely cautious. I don't think they have to worry about to tarantulas becoming invasive. Just my opinion though, I'm not an expert on these things

I personally own two G. porteri! They’re still very little, but I also work with all color forms of G. rosea/porteri at work. I’ve also worked with G. pulchra as well as G. pulchripes— they’re lovely species!
It’s a shame Maine puts a law banning our own US native species, but it is what it is.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
I personally own two G. porteri! They’re still very little, but I also work with all color forms of G. rosea/porteri at work. I’ve also worked with G. pulchra as well as G. pulchripes— they’re lovely species!
It’s a shame Maine puts a law banning our own US native species, but it is what it is.
Does NH have any restrictions on tarantula species? I think I knew at one time, but have forgotten.