• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

HEY GUYS..i have 12 ts.. and well.. i ask that we keep everything at a respectful medium

anonymitylll

my main concern at this point is a 7 inch pokie striata female... Ive had her since she was a sling.. now.. ive created an irrational fear of her.. I absolutely have to rehouse her.. She is the biggest and most beautiful in my collection.. ive done everything right so far, but i feel that im almost not capable of this alone(please keep the negative comments to yourself) i might have bitten off more than i can chew.. but.. at the end of the day.. i have 6 adult female ts.. that need breeding.. two of which ive allready attempted breeding(obt.b.albo)... so.. im trying to see if anyone has any tips besides the norm..(which is.. thongs....gloves.. cupping.. ) like i said.. ive developed an irrational fear of her bc shes so big and beautiful.. i have to rehouse her within the week.. any comments are welcome.. negative ones are not

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I usually find that the Ts I have dreaded rehousing most end up being the easiest, if that helps. I'd do the transfer in the bath. Remember Ts tend to run in short bursts then stop so just move slowly and stay calm and I'm sure you'll wonder afterwards why you were so worried.

Metalman2004

3 Year Member
my main concern at this point is a 7 inch pokie striata female... Ive had her since she was a sling.. now.. ive created an irrational fear of her.. I absolutely have to rehouse her.. She is the biggest and most beautiful in my collection.. ive done everything right so far, but i feel that im almost not capable of this alone(please keep the negative comments to yourself) i might have bitten off more than i can chew.. but.. at the end of the day.. i have 6 adult female ts.. that need breeding.. two of which ive allready attempted breeding(obt.b.albo)... so.. im trying to see if anyone has any tips besides the norm..(which is.. thongs....gloves.. cupping.. ) like i said.. ive developed an irrational fear of her bc shes so big and beautiful.. i have to rehouse her within the week.. any comments are welcome.. negative ones are not

I agree with Enn, the majority of my Poec adults are very chill and don’t bolt or run. You are also correct, be sure to have your thong handy. :)

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
I don't know why you are expecting negative comments. Relax. We are all friends here. You are not the only one with a healthy respect and fear of your grown up tarantula. We are happy to help.

I think Enn is right. After the deed is done, you will laugh and be relived at the same time.

Here are some tips I've learned from other members on this forum:
  1. Put both the new and the old enclosure on a board or bricks in the bath tub and run some cold water to make a moat.
  2. Chill the spider a bit before the move. Being an ectotherm, coolness will cause the spider to move slower. 50-60 F won't hurt it.
  3. Close the bathroom door and put a towel across the bottom so the spider cannot escape from the room. Remove any unneeded "furniture" like the toilet plunger, waste basket, laundry bin or any other items like that from the bathroom.
  4. Have lots of catch cups around the room at the ready.
  5. Remember that arboreals tend to run UP, not down, so be ready for that.
  6. There are lots of YouTube videos showing people moving their spiders. Watch some of those for inspiration and to learn some technique.
Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
here is a handy hint for future moves/cleaning too. Assuming you are using cork bark (tube), close the end off that you have in the sub with a plastic throw away cup. when you go to catch the spider next time, chances are it will bolt down the cork tube. simply block the top end with kitchen towel and then transfer the cork tube with the spider and plastic cup into a holding area while you rehouse or clean. Reposition the cork tube, remove kitchen towel and job done. I do this with my adult pokies.:)

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
here is a handy hint for future moves/cleaning too. Assuming you are using cork bark (tube), close the end off that you have in the sub with a plastic throw away cup. when you go to catch the spider next time, chances are it will bolt down the cork tube. simply block the top end with kitchen towel and then transfer the cork tube with the spider and plastic cup into a holding area while you rehouse or clean. Reposition the cork tube, remove kitchen towel and job done. I do this with my adult pokies.:)
I do the same thing with my large female pokies...tubes are the best. Never blocked the bottom, that's a great idea. They usually stay put in the tube and I place a piece of cardboard over the end. Males I use cork slabs...usually pull out the slab and catch them in a cup to transfer them for breeding or what not.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I do the same thing with my large female pokies...tubes are the best. Never blocked the bottom, that's a great idea. They usually stay put in the tube and I place a piece of cardboard over the end. Males I use cork slabs...usually pull out the slab and catch them in a cup to transfer them for breeding or what not.
great minds think alike.....
they also say 2 idiots seldom differ though ;)

Logan D

3 Year Member
do you have any pictures of what she is in now could help give you advice on the best way to get her into a catch cup

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
hey im new to tarantulas and am getting ready for a arizona blonde any tips i should know
You may want to make a seperate thread, your post may get overlooked by some, but to answer your question: deep, DRY substrate, water dish, and a hide are all that is necessary.

anonymitylll

hey guys.. thank you for all the advice.. and I will take some tomorrow .. I have videos right now of when she was a sling... but haven't had time to post anything recent.. shes currently burrowed upside down having a blast. lol. but Tuesday is her rehouse day.. ...I just had my first successful breeding. im still a little frightened(bc of the bite reports. etc.. ) but it does make me feel better to hear that its been simple for most.. she had been pretty timid.. even when I was moving and she got out.. she chilled on my neck for a minute... a scary moment.. but I got her back. ….its just shes growing so much.. I know its irrational for me to be afraid.. but I can see her fangs now lol

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If the old enclosure fits inside of the new one, that'll make it much easier as well. I need to rehouse my male P striata soon too. Since its late fall heading to winter, the outside temps should be perfect to chill him out safely.

One note: shocking the T by putting it in the fridge is a really bad idea. It's to cold in there. If you want to chill an invert, put it into the temperature that you actually want it to attain. Warming the new cage or at least some decor in the new cage should help them decide that they need to be there, an additional inducement for the right behavior.

Latest posts