• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Heteroscodra maculata normal behavour

Mundo exotico

Hello all,
I would like to know your opinion about this subject specially for those who have this species.
I have a H Mac and before I got her I did a lot of research and I always read that they are very agressive or defensive like worse that the obt. What I see from mine is completly different. Mine is alawys hidden but as soon as it gets dark come out. When I feeder I I touch a bit the enclose in a smooth way she goes inside the cork tube. I put the cricket and as soon I close the emclosure she comes out and hunt the cricket. Than she is freaking fast.
Some videos that I assist I never watch agressiveness like other species even the keepers say the same. The rehousing and strng venom are the real deal with these amazing T.
What do you think?

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm not a keeper of H mac, so if that disqualifies my opinion then that's fine. I do keep 2 OBTs and a few other "defensive" species and what I have noticed is that age, housing/husbandry and how comfortable the spider is can affect an individual spider's temperament.

Granted, a sweetheart of a sling can turn into a raging behemoth when it matures as much as a skittish sling that hides when a mouse farts can be out on display as a juvenile or adult and tolerate you jostling their enclosure. It is my opinion there is a combination of nature AND nurture at play here, but mostly nature and the temperment of the specific individual spider.

Case Study: P irminia
I acquired my first of this arboreal NW as a juvenile around 2.5" but I barely saw it. When it was out it scrambled for its hide at the slightest movement within it's sight. Well it has molted twice in my care, is around 3-3.5" and has been rehoused into a gallon jug - a lot more room. He immediately made a dirt curtain hide and has molted once inside it. Now, as a juvenile male, he is out often, hides less and is far less skittish than he used to be.

The second P irminia I acquired is a juvenile female around the same size as my male is now, 3-3.5". She was rehoused immediately also into a gallon jug and has slowly started making more of a burrow hide than a dirt curtain, but she is S K I T T I S H. Just brush your finger against the rack her enclosure is on and she goes scrambling for her ditch. She is not even fully concealed but her instinct is to hide and she is the same size and probably same instar as my male, but from different bloodlines.

I suspect, in time, under my care, she will become as tolerant of minor disturbances as my male did. Is this the individual, conditioning (nurture) or are they just more "secure" as adults as a product of their nature? A side effect of maturity? Time will tell,

Your sweetheart of an H mac may also change, adapt or "evolve" over time in your care. Time will tell.
Please let us know!

Mundo exotico

My H mac is around 10 cms legspawn. I will keep you update. Thanks for your answer. I agree with you. If they have proper enclosure and husbandry and good hideout and not disturb they prefer to hide. You are not desquilified of course. I kust wanted to know what other H mac owners think about this.
Thanks;)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I think it's a case of respecting them and moving gently around them and all these supposed aggressive Ts will never threaten you. I've had an Heteroscodra maculata and currently have OBTs and a Stromatopelma calceatum, all Ts with bad reputations and not had a threat pose from any, they're more likely to run and hide.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I rehoused our juv S Calc just 2 days ago and it wanted to do nothing but hide from me. I did eventually get a threat pose (I wasn’t trying to irritate it) but it was only because it felt exposed. After a few minutes it calmed down and I continued the rehouse without any issues. We have a H Mac but it’s still only around 1.5”. Our last one went Mm and would always hide if disturbed.

Mundo exotico

This is also my conclusion about it. If you respect the T, give her a nice nice hideout and good care they dont get agressive. Kust defensive. Of course rehousing is another story cause basically you destry their home and they feel threatened. I see so many caresheet about some species extreme agressiveness but I dont agree with a lot of stuff about it. I wanted just to know what you more experienced keepers think abou it.

Mundo exotico

IMG_20200709_030305.jpg
This is H mac chilling on her bark every night:)

Latest posts