• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Here's a new one for me

Mr. P

3 Year Member
I have a 7" female LP, 10 minutes ago she was on top of her log and there was a puddle of clear liquid that she kept dipping her pedipalps in up and down. The clear liquid wasn't there two hours ago and it is too far from her water bowl, what is it? What was she doing?

Mr. P

3 Year Member
I'm guessing it's not hemolymph (or whatever it's called), she could just be grooming herself.

She is not injured. Just wondering what the liquid was and where it came from. I have never heard of T's regurgitating.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Dip your finger in it then sniff your finger, if it smells like secretion it’s probably that...
tumblr_m3yrjjOAcY1ru8gmxo1_400.gif

Mr. P

3 Year Member
Oh, by the way, the puddle is gone now. There isn't a trace of it anywhere. Just one of those things that make you go hmmmm.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have no idea what that is, but I'd keep the waterdish full so it can replace the lost fluid, maybe even mist part of the cage just a little bit.

Arachnoscholar

I've seen something similar with a few of my larger female specimens of different species in the past. The most prominent was with my adult aphonopelma seemani "blue". She has an exo terra glass enclosure with the typical foam background that has the access corridors in the back for wires to be hidden for the accessories, and a common thing I've seen with some tarantulas getting up into that is what happened. Like the head stuck in a railing situation, she got in, but couldn't get back out. I was pondering the best way to get her out of there when I saw she did indeed expel clear fluid in a puddle that accumulated similar to what was described, and then she slowly removed herself. So without being a tarantula mindreader, or a bonnafied expert, my observations suggest they can expel fluids intentionally to both remove body mass if they need, and of course is how they groom themselves but typically bring their legs down to their mouths for that to conserve on fluids. I don't believe the tarantulas would just mindlessly fill themselves up to the point of bursting if they ate to big of a meal or something, so it could also be after eating they could regurgitate excess fluids if it was called for, and then could use it for grooming before evaporating. Most times it would soak into the substrate without much notice. The tarantulas stop eating in pre-molt to allow the layers between exoskeletons to separate so it all seems to logically make sence in my opinion.

Latest posts