• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

help with plesiophrictus sp kerala

Phlo1

not sure i even spelled it right. friend gave this as a freebie and i never heard of it. no idea what it needs as far as humidity and whether theyre arboreal or burrowers. all i jnow if theyre mid sized OWs. anyone have any experience i would love to hear.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
What type of meaningful information did u gather from that source
All the other spicie in the genus, along with several taxonomy changes, as well as some regional information, specifically Western Ghats in India.

Little information about the species from this region is know or has been documented, so far, but the article below gives a great taxonometic overview as well as some anecdotal info about habitat:

Going a bit further into looking at the Kerala region led me to find weather information for Silent Valley National Park which apparently experiences rainfall between June and December due to the southwest monsoon winds. April and May are the summer months when the maximum temperature rises to 39 degree Celsius while January and February are the winter months when the temperature is about 20 degree Celsius.

So, a good starting point for keeping Plesiophrictus would be for you to find documented care and keeping notes for species that come from similar climates & regions. Hint, South America perhaps.

I apologize for not spending more time on your project.

Phlo1

All the other spicie in the genus, along with several taxonomy changes, as well as some regional information, specifically Western Ghats in India.

Little information about the species from this region is know or has been documented, so far, but the article below gives a great taxonometic overview as well as some anecdotal info about habitat:

Going a bit further into looking at the Kerala region led me to find weather information for Silent Valley National Park which apparently experiences rainfall between June and December due to the southwest monsoon winds. April and May are the summer months when the maximum temperature rises to 39 degree Celsius while January and February are the winter months when the temperature is about 20 degree Celsius.

So, a good starting point for keeping Plesiophrictus would be for you to find documented care and keeping notes for species that come from similar climates & regions. Hint, South America perhaps.

I apologize for not spending more time on your project.
Interesting I see what u did their and showing me a good way to research! 39 c is rather high for me to provide but they should be hardy with those ranges on temps

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Interesting I see what u did their and showing me a good way to research! 39 c is rather high for me to provide but they should be hardy with those ranges on temps
Don't keep at 39°C, that's a regional max, but 23°c to 33°c would be fine - spiders often burrow in the cooler earth to avoid the ambient heat.

General rule of thumb, if you are comfortable in a t-shirt the T will likely be, too.

And you're welcome.

Phlo1

Don't keep at 39°C, that's a regional max, but 23°c to 33°c would be fine - spiders often burrow in the cooler earth to avoid the ambient heat.

General rule of thumb, if you are comfortable in a t-shirt the T will likely be, too.

And you're welcome.
Yeah definitely won't be doing 39 C haha but good to know!

Phlo1

Plesiophrictus sp kerala are ground dwellers from Kerala in India which only grow to around 2". They do burrow as slings.
Hey sorry I just saw ur comment. Did u happen to own one or come across one? Are they webbers? Good eaters? Defensive? Mine just seems to be shocked for the most part not wanting to move unless provoked. Maybe still getting used to the new crib idk

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hey sorry I just saw ur comment. Did u happen to own one or come across one? Are they webbers? Good eaters? Defensive? Mine just seems to be shocked for the most part not wanting to move unless provoked. Maybe still getting used to the new crib idk

I had one until last summer and have just got a tiny sling. To be honest they burrow and are rarely seen unless their burrows run down the side of their containers. They seem to be good feeders but never saw any sign of aggression.
How big is yours? The chances are it is still settling in to its new home, give it time and it will vanish.

Phlo1

I had one until last summer and have just got a tiny sling. To be honest they burrow and are rarely seen unless their burrows run down the side of their containers. They seem to be good feeders but never saw any sign of aggression.
How big is yours? The chances are it is still settling in to its new home, give it time and it will vanish.
About 3/4 of inch and like u said it's gone. Dug its tunnel and is chilling.

Latest posts