• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help with juvenile T Blondi

Charlotte1

I've already been over the fact that I shouldn't have let my son start with this type of tarantula but it is what it is. We moved her out of a 40 gallon tank with sprayers, heat lamp etc. into a 15 qt. plastic container with coco fiber, vermiculite, and sphagnum moss as substrate. Wetted till it's moldable but not dripping wet. we have cross ventilation and she has a portion of clay pot to hide under. My issues are these: 1) he wanted to put a heated pad under the container because he was certain that she was too cold (she's in a basement room that is usually 65 to 70 degrees. Closer to 70 most of the time). She ended up on top of the clay pot in her enclosure and I think it's because it's too warm!! ?? I made him unplug it but would appreciate some confirmation. 2) There's not a whole lot of space for a deep substrate. Isn't that bad? She's a juvenile but I think she's huge. Not sure if it's okay. 3) Her enclosure is on my son's computer desk. It seems like the movement would be stressful for her. He's a gamer and always on the computer hitting keys hard, slamming his chair into the desk, etc. Is that bad for her? 4) HOW ON EARTH are you supposed to lift the lid to feed her, add water etc. without getting hurt??? Or having her shoot out of the container? Or spray hairs all over? His original tank for her felt much safer, this is way up close. I wanted to sell her and have him start over but he's adamant to figure it out.?? Thoughts from those who know better than I?? Thank you in advance for your time! It's greatly appreciated!

KatyAnn

I recently bought a juvi T. stirmi and have done some research since then about the blondi and stirmi. My advice to you is to try to relax about her. Yes, they have more husbandry needs than a bracyphelma or Grammastola, but as long as you wet down her substrate enough for it to perforate once a week & keep proper side ventilation, she should be fine. I keep my T. stirmi in a room with a small space heater on low heat for most of the day. The temp usually stays around 80 degrees or a little under. I've heard people say that they keep them at 70 degrees with no issues though. I would say yes to the constant movements bothering her. Tarantulas are very sensitive to vibrations. I'd definitely move her from there. I also have my stirmi in a 15qt plastic tub and was nervous about him bolting out to "get me" everytime I opened the lid lol but as long as you have a hide and some foliage for hiding, she most likely will run & hide instead of attacking or threat posing (some are moodier than others though) Now, the hair kicking on the other hand is real! My boy kicks like crazy if hes bothered and sometimes it seems like hes kicking hairs as he runs lolol. I suggest wearing gloves, long sleeves, and safety glasses when feeding and doing any tank maintenance. Another thing...it is important to have at least 6 in of substrate in my opinion, especially for a blondi ( they need a bit more humidity than a stirmi) With deeper substrate the humidity will hold A LOT better and won't dry out as quickly. Enjoy that big beautiful spider, and try your best to relax.

KatyAnn

I recently bought a juvi T. stirmi and have done some research since then about the blondi and stirmi. My advice to you is to try to relax about her. Yes, they have more husbandry needs than a bracyphelma or Grammastola, but as long as you wet down her substrate enough for it to percolate once a week & keep proper side ventilation, she should be fine. I keep my T. stirmi in a room with a small space heater on low heat for most of the day. The temp usually stays around 80 degrees or a little under. I've heard people say that they keep them at 70 degrees with no issues though. I would say yes to the constant movements bothering her. Tarantulas are very sensitive to vibrations. I'd definitely move her from there. I also have my stirmi in a 15qt plastic tub and was nervous about him bolting out to "get me" everytime I opened the lid lol but as long as you have a hide and some foliage for hiding, she most likely will run & hide instead of attacking or threat posing (some are moodier than others though) Now, the hair kicking on the other hand is real! My boy kicks like crazy if hes bothered and sometimes it seems like hes kicking hairs as he runs lolol. I suggest wearing gloves, long sleeves, and safety glasses when feeding and doing any tank maintenance. Another thing...it is important to have at least 6 in of substrate in my opinion, especially for a blondi ( they need a bit more humidity than a stirmi) With deeper substrate the humidity will hold A LOT better and won't dry out as quickly. Enjoy that big beautiful spider, and try your best to relax.
I recently bought a juvi T. stirmi and have done some research since then about the blondi and stirmi. My advice to you is to try to relax about her. Yes, they have more husbandry needs than a bracyphelma or Grammastola, but as long as you wet down her substrate enough for it to perforate once a week & keep proper side ventilation, she should be fine. I keep my T. stirmi in a room with a small space heater on low heat for most of the day. The temp usually stays around 80 degrees or a little under. I've heard people say that they keep them at 70 degrees with no issues though. I would say yes to the constant movements bothering her. Tarantulas are very sensitive to vibrations. I'd definitely move her from there. I also have my stirmi in a 15qt plastic tub and was nervous about him bolting out to "get me" everytime I opened the lid lol but as long as you have a hide and some foliage for hiding, she most likely will run & hide instead of attacking or threat posing (some are moodier than others though) Now, the hair kicking on the other hand is real! My boy kicks like crazy if hes bothered and sometimes it seems like hes kicking hairs as he runs lolol. I suggest wearing gloves, long sleeves, and safety glasses when feeding and doing any tank maintenance. Another thing...it is important to have at least 6 in of substrate in my opinion, especially for a blondi ( they need a bit more humidity than a stirmi) With deeper substrate the humidity will hold A LOT better and won't dry out as quickly. Enjoy that big beautiful spider, and try your best to relax.

Charlotte1

Also, are you 100% sure you have a T. blondi? I was told my T. stirmi was a blondi. This happens quite often.
Lol, I have no idea. Thank you so much for the input!! Will definitely move her enclosure to a more stable location. Thank you!! Yes, definitely wearing long sleeves/ goggles!!

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Lol, I have no idea. Thank you so much for the input!! Will definitely move her enclosure to a more stable location. Thank you!! Yes, definitely wearing long sleeves/ goggles!!

If you want to know for sure which species you have you can upload a picture of it here in this thread and I will be happy to help in identifying it. :)

KatyAnn

You're very welcome. I too was incredibly nervous about having a Tarantula that needs more care, but watching videos online has helped me tremendously as well as these tarantula forums.

Latest posts