• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help with a Mexican Redleg please

idkwhatimdoing

I have a juvenile Mexican Redleg and it's my first tarantula that's my own (I looked after an ex's Chilean Rose for a few years due to the ex's housing situation, but mostly got told exactly what to do) so I'm slightly lost. The enclosure was pre-prepped with a good amount of substrate, bark, etc. The T customized her burrow and has fed successfully regularly since I've had her (only been a few weeks, mind you).

I'm just really confused about temperature and humidity. I'm not convinced the device I have is giving me accurate readings. The substrate looked damp when I first got her (and was reading 80-99% humidity) but she seemed quite happy to hide in her burrow. Substrate now looks dried out (reading 45-55% humidity), and she now largely hangs out on one of the walls of the tank which has a heat mat on it (reading 27-28 Celsius). Is this fine? Is she actually enjoying the heat or stressing out or just settling in still? The internet told me dump the hydro/thermometer but then I feel like I'd have even less of a clue.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I did search previous posts but didn't really find exactly what I was looking for. Thanks in advance.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I live in the north of England and my T have no heating of their own. Overnight the temperature in my room can fall as low as 18C and rises to around 24C, although during the heat wave it did get to 30C and my Ts do fine.
As for humidity as long as they have a water bowl that is kept full all you need to do is over fill it occasionally so there is a small area of damp substrate round it.

Latest posts