• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

HELP! What should I do

remington

A few weeks ago I was a total dolt and sloshed water into my B hamorii sling's enclosure, rendering the substrate way too wet. I thought it would dry on its own since I keep the sling very warm, but this has not been the case. However, the sling seemed unbothered by the wet substrate so I decided to leave it for a while in the hopes that it would dry out.
I came home this morning to see her in an odd position that kind of resembled a death curl with one of her legs beneath her. When I opened the enclosure she perked up. I also noticed a considerable amount of webbing around the enclosure that had not been there before, leading me to believe she may be in premolt (although besides a large abdomen there arent any other clear signs)

I am very worried. Should I remove the t and replace the substrate immediately? Or would that be risky in of itself considering the faint possibility of premolt? I am a first time tarantula keeper and I am so angry at myself for making this mistake. Please help me!!

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi,
Take a deep breath. First thing first, you are asking blind people to give you directions on where to go :)
It is close to impossible for us to help without being able to see what is going on. Please take pictures of the T as well as the enclosure and post them right away. If she made a web napping on the floor and stands in the middle of it she might start to molt but then again it is just a guess.
Please take some pictures while trying to disturb it the least possible, we are looking forward to helping, if we can.
Cheers.

remington

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Sorry! This is what the enclosure looks like. Way too wet, I know, but I haven’t noticed mold or anything like that yet. The tarantula itself is just sitting there, fortunately her leg is not curled under her body anymore. It’s a little hard to see the webbing without a flash but it’s all along the wall of the enclosure, particularly to the left of where she is standing. It could be normal webbing that I just didn’t notice, again, I’m not sure. I kind of panicked when I saw her and couldn’t think straight beyond posting to the forum. Any help would be greatly appreciated

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Looks like a tarantula doing its thing. Let the enclosure dry out and add a water dish.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Sounds like you need more ventilation. A small enclosure like that should dry out rather quick. What's your lid look like? Your cross ventilation is lacking.

remington

Sounds like you need more ventilation. A small enclosure like that should dry out rather quick. What's your lid look like? Your cross ventilation is lacking.
It was the enclosure I was sent by fear not tarantulas, but I agree I was a bit surprised by the lack of ventilation holes. The lid has none at all. I will probably have my father help me with burning some more as soon as I can

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It was the enclosure I was sent by fear not tarantulas, but I agree I was a bit surprised by the lack of ventilation holes. The lid has none at all. I will probably have my father help me with burning some more as soon as I can
More holes will cure all your problems. Simple fix

remington

More holes will cure all your problems. Simple fix
I hope so. It also doesn't help that she likes to pile substrate in the corners and block the few that already exist; I have to clear them out somewhat periodically. She seems to be fine for the moment, but I will burn those holes as soon as possible. The t is pretty small (roughly 1 cm) would a hot needle suffice as a hole punch?

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I hope so. It also doesn't help that she likes to pile substrate in the corners and block the few that already exist; I have to clear them out somewhat periodically. She seems to be fine for the moment, but I will burn those holes as soon as possible. The t is pretty small (roughly 1 cm) would a hot needle suffice as a hole punch?
Nail with pliers would probably be easier. Needle would be too small and hard to hold onto. Drill or soldering iron would be the best.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
So glad we were able to prove the power a single picture has and so glad there was after all not much to worry about. I know it is really hard to do as it is your first T and you are obviously very excited about it but please keep in mind that the least you move/bother your T the more it will thrive. Keep updating us on your baby as well as sharing pictures, you have a lot of new friends now here to help.
Cheers.

Latest posts