• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help: Tarantula refuses to eat

Bibilibop

3 Year Member
Hello,

I know that tarantula can spend a long time without eating, but i'm getting worried and frustrated.

I had two tarantula ; 1 male Brachypelma emilia and 1 (sex unknow) brachypelma albopilosum.

The B. albopilosum always ate really well. I actually bought it because it was really cool to watch hunt. I've been keeping her for almost a year now and she got really big.
The B. emilia was not a big eater. He was eating only from time to time and never really grew bigger. I kept him for 1 year and half.

When winter began, the B. emilia stopped eating. A friend tol me it was not such big deal, it was because it's colder and not to worry about it. Since my B.Albopilosum was eating and that they are both on the same shelf with the same temperature, i didn't really worried. I thought he would shed soon and that was the reason of his small appetite.
I was wrong. He died two days ago.
I'm pissed. And kind of mad at myself for not caring enough.

Now my B. albopilosum refuses to eat too. It shed last week and haven't eat since then.
I add a lamp, so it has two lamp now, temperature in its hiding spot is around 26 celsius.
Right now it seems better, since the tarantula is walking around and placing spiderweb on the ground.

I still have a problem: During night, the house temperature drops at 18 celsius. It doesn't have any heating pad so it gets really cold for the tarantula.
Should I put a heating pad instead of the lamps?
I don't think it's a good idea because it enjoys digging.

All my other reptiles are fines, because they have heating pads. My scorpion doesn't have a heating pad either, but it seems to still eat, since crickets disapear.

If anyone have idea to help or can explain why they are not eating anymore, it would be appreciated.
Thanks.

(Sorry for the mistakes, english is my second language)

novakdesigns

3 Year Member
Sorry to hear that your one T died :( , i wouldnt worry about the other one not eating at the moment if its only just moulted, take the food out and try again in two weeks. One of my old Ts wouldnt eat for five weeks after she shed

Bibilibop

3 Year Member
Okay, I wasn't planning on feeding it soon anyway, because it refuses to eat and cricket are hard to get out of there after.
I don't remember that it stopped eating after shedding last time, but I hope you are right.
It usually stops eating before, like 3 weeks, but I never noticed the same after.

Otherwise: Is it dangerous to have such a big temperature drop at night?

novakdesigns

3 Year Member
I think its ok for slight drop of temp so that they know the difference between day and night time and the seasons etc, but not a radical drop. Its always cold where i live so i have a heat pad stuck to the outside of one section of my tank. Some people say lamps are ok but others say no to. Aslong as its not on all the time so that the spider does not burn then id say its ok as i know people who used heat lamps instead of mats/pads and their Ts are perfectly happy and have lived for years and years

Bibilibop

3 Year Member
The lamps are not that direct on them. They have colder spot in their tank. But still, during day with the lamps it can go from 26 celsius, to 18 at night...
Right now, my tarantula is in a plastic tank. I can't put a heating pad, otherwise it will probably melt. If needed I can switch it in a glass aquarium, it's no a problem.

novakdesigns

3 Year Member
Heat pad wont be strong enough to melt tank. You can buy spider tank kits that are plastic tanks with the heat pads. Aslong as pad is on the outside and placed on side of the tank and not the bottom it should be fine, three of mine were in plastic tanks with pads :)

Bibilibop

3 Year Member
I never saw or heard about thoses spider tanks kits... ?
And yeah maybe most plastics tank, but I have the plastic cage by exo-terra, and everybody tells me not to put heatpad on it. I'm not sure it would resist the heat to be honest.

novakdesigns

3 Year Member
Heres a link to where you can get them from if you ever did want to buy them for any other Ts you may get in the future. Hope your t eats for you soon so that you wont be worrying :) http://www.thespidershop.co.uk/insect/product_info.php?products_id=531

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388943726.979881.jpg

Latest posts