• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

HELP (stuck in the hole)

InternetSwag

3 Year Member
Hi guys,

vApj1oj.jpg

I woke up to check on my slings this morning my found my Smithi like this.
He is stuck. His legs are through the hole, but his abdomen won't fit.
If I poke him he doesn't go back or forward, he just flails his legs a bit.

Do I try to get him through the hole? Do I try to poke him back in? Do I just leave him? I need to go to work in 30 mins and Im not sure what to do

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Little escape artist, eh! Don't feel bad, you are not the first person this has happened to and you won't be the last.

Hopefully, if you didnt managed to free him, you placed his container instead a larger one (just in case he does wiggle out) before having to go to work.

Just a little tip for future though, when working out the size of the vent holes ignore the legs and abdomen and concentrate on the size of the prosoma (or head). The holes have to be smaller than that.
For my slings I use a seam ripper from my sewing kit to poke holes. You can heat it up to make it easier and the holes will be slightly larger, and should be fine for your slings. I didn't heat it for my smaller 1cm slings enclosure. When not heated it kind of makes pin sized holes. You could use a heated paper clip instead.

Good luck :)

InternetSwag

3 Year Member
So I got home and he was still stuck in the exact same position he was left in.
Took him to my friends house and he cut that portion out with a hot box cutter.
This allowed him to move the sling in such a way that he got another leg through and straighten out and he was able to push the abdomen through the hole. If there's any damage we'll know ill monitor him. There's no leakage and after he was walking around fine no wetness or bleeding.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Wow that's incredible! Well done both of you. To be honest, when I saw your post I thought he was a gonner, because I could see he was completely wedged. I thought he'd either get accidentally squished or lose most of his legs in the attempt. Obviously, I didn't want to say any of that then as it wouldn't have helped at all.
I'm so happy you got the little guy out, it's like a miracle. The lengths you took shows how much you care for your pets. Amazing story. Probably will help others in future too!

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
PS. If they can fit their prosoma through they can squish up their abdomen to follow. He just got in an awkward position and got wedged. Gives you an idea of how small the holes need to be. Obviously, as already mentioned, the smaller the holes, the more you need. Also if using tape to make a hole smaller, be very careful that it is done in a way that the T could never come into contact with the sticky side. As they can get stuck and injured. :):)

InternetSwag

3 Year Member
Wow that's incredible! Well done both of you. To be honest, when I saw your post I thought he was a gonner, because I could see he was completely wedged. I thought he'd either get accidentally squished or lose most of his legs in the attempt. Obviously, I didn't want to say any of that then as it wouldn't have helped at all.
I'm so happy you got the little guy out, it's like a miracle. The lengths you took shows how much you care for your pets. Amazing story. Probably will help others in future too!
Thanks, I appreciate it and all your advice. Yep I'm never making holes that big ever again I really learned my lesson I'm just glad I was able to learn it without a death

I'm really happy!!

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Thanks, I appreciate it and all your advice. Yep I'm never making holes that big ever again I really learned my lesson I'm just glad I was able to learn it without a death

I'm really happy!!

Don't beat yourself up, it can happen to any of us, even people with years of experience. We can underestimate how small they can squeeze themselves up. Lid flaws is another biggie. We are all buying enclosures that were never designed to hold a living creature and prevent said creatures escape. Little gaps on the edges of the lid that you really don't notice at first...... Oh hell.....(rushes to check her enclosures!!) :eek: