• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

HELP, please.

cabentley

I'm a new member and this is my 1st post. My T is not doing well and I'm looking for advice on how to save her.

I've had her for 5-6 years. She molts annually and has been doing well. We moved from FL to CA in September and she's only eaten once since then. I assumed it had something to do with the move and/or the new drier and colder air in CA. On 12/19, she unexpectedly molted and she looked awful. Knowing she was in a delicate state, I set her up in the bathroom which tends to be warmer and where she would have get humid air at least 2x a day when we shower. I went out of town thinking when I got back, she would be ready to eat. However, 3 days later I came home and she was in her bucket (webbing at the top of the tank) with her legs curled under her body. Consulted the internet as this has never happened before and concluded that she was dehydrated. Immediately got her out and placed her in a tupperware container where her mouth was in a little puddle of water. Monitored that and then moved her to an ICU unit with a wet paper towel and bedding. She was in ICU for 2 days. Looks better than before but still awful compared to her normal state. I cleaned out the tank and put her back in bc she was sitting on the side wall of the ICU cube and I thought that was a sign she was ready to leave there. Shes been in the same spot (atop the most paper towel) in her tank for 24 hours now and hasn't moved. Shes alive, just not moving.

I dont know if this is a hydration issue or something worse. I've never seen her look so bad after a molt as this last one. She looks like a completely different T.

I really dont want her to die. Please share any tips you may have. I've uploaded photos of her tank and her, in her present state vs the normal, healthier look.

Attachments

• 20190108_202545.jpg
    20190108_202545.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 42
  • 20190108_202742.jpg
    20190108_202742.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 44
  • 20190109_140354.jpg
    20190109_140354.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 44
  • Screenshot_20171130-112452.png
    Screenshot_20171130-112452.png
    5.1 MB · Views: 44

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
She looks like a he....are you sure it's a female? Anyways humidity will kill your avic. I suggest putting it in a dry well ventilated enclosure with a large water dish. Room temperature is good...I live on the west coast. I keep mine at 73 degrees year round

cabentley

She looks like a he....are you sure it's a female? Anyways humidity will kill your avic. I suggest putting it in a dry well ventilated enclosure with a large water dish. Room temperature is good...I live on the west coast. I keep mine at 73 degrees year round

I felt pretty confident about her being female but I'm no expert. On this last molt, I was able to see the pouch and put the corner of a post it under the edge. I've read that if she were a he, then they lose the pink toes at the final molt. I've also looked for hooks but didn't see them. I could be wrong but I took a photo of the molt in case someone can see it.

Attachments

• 20190109_171632.jpg
    20190109_171632.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 26

cabentley

I can see it's a female now from the abdomen on the molt.

So it's not old age. :( I purchased her at one of those Repticon shows as, what I would describe, a juvenile. $20 for a brown juvie that he said was a pink toe. She was bigger than a sling and has grown considerably over the years. I'm inclined to believe that she has a fighting spirit bc she made a comeback after losing 2 legs on one side in an early molt. I hope she pulls through this... I'm just getting increasingly anxious with every day that passes.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Next time you feed her see if you can find a hornworm. They are full of moisture which will help hydrate her. You should be able to find them at most reptile shops.