• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help! My o.violaceopes has passed and I have no idea why!

bbyaya

Hello this is my first time posting so I’m not sure if Im posting on the correct forum. I’ve had my Singapore blue for 3-4 weeks and was told that it was around 5 months. Its had no problems with feeding or molting and just this morning was walking around the walls of the cage. I left to run errands and when I came back, it wasn’t moving at all and the more I touched the more it curled into the death curl :( I had the blue next to my older (1-2 years) Costa Rican zebra male and was wondering if whatever affected the Singapore blue can affect the zebra? Or was it bad that I had the two cages in close proximity?

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Welcome to the forum.

Too many variables to hazard a guess at circumstances, causes, etc. Are you sure it's dying? Pics maybe?

bbyaya

Welcome to the forum.

Too many variables to hazard a guess at circumstances, causes, etc. Are you sure it's dying? Pics maybe?
It’s body is starting to curl :/. The humidity is always above 70 and temperature ranges from 75-80 but it has a heating pad on one of the sides of the tank.
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 9

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
On this one I believe it is likely something else. I have one that I raise from 1/2”, now a beautiful mature female and humidity has always been higher with this species than pretty much every other Ts (except for the theraphosas). I believe the O. Violaceopes to be very moisture dependent. The key is good ventilation to keep the humid air moving.
This is my current setup for her. Even with a large water bowl I still keep the ground very moist.

F6C7EE45-3FFD-4DED-9602-AB24A7659B90.jpeg
734A1904-668B-4CE7-ABFC-C1F286883769.jpeg
679021A2-FFEE-4446-B60C-55FC43910A0A.jpeg

p.S: Even if it is unfortunately not for some joyful reasons, welcome to the forum!

bbyaya

On this one I believe it is likely something else. I have one that I raise from 1/2”, now a beautiful mature female and humidity has always been higher with this species than pretty much every other Ts (except for the theraphosas). I believe the O. Violaceopes to be very moisture dependent. The key is good ventilation to keep the humid air moving.
This is my current setup for her. Even with a large water bowl I still keep the ground very moist.

View attachment 62506View attachment 62507View attachment 62508
She’s so pretty!! I want to say the one I have is about 1-2 inches in length I was so excited to see how blue it’s legs would get! and the top of her cage allowed for ventilation. The reptile shop I go to has a worker who specializes in tarantulas but she’s on vacation at the moment so I can’t reach her :(

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
She’s so pretty!! I want to say the one I have is about 1-2 inches in length I was so excited to see how blue it’s legs would get! and the top of her cage allowed for ventilation. The reptile shop I go to has a worker who specializes in tarantulas but she’s on vacation at the moment so I can’t reach her :(
I do not believe although everything is possible that the pet shop worker might know more about T than many of the people on this forum, some of them breeding and selling slings to those very same pet stores. I would always recommend cross ventilation rather than just a top opening. In addition to the cross ventilation I also have a powerful fan kicking in every 3 hours and for 45 minutes to help move the air throughout the room as well as regulating the temperature.
Keep in mind as well that sometimes unfortunately Ts do die without any apparent reason and it is not right to blame yourself.
They are indeed beautiful spider.
Here is a picture of the mature female right after her last molt, no filter, just a 200 lumens torch light on her to bring out the blue.
AF431D71-4389-4FE9-8BAA-3D8B72E9ADB6.jpeg

bbyaya

I do not believe although everything is possible that the pet shop worker might know more about T than many of the people on this forum, some of them breeding and selling slings to those very same pet stores. I would always recommend cross ventilation rather than just a top opening. In addition to the cross ventilation I also have a powerful fan kicking in every 3 hours and for 45 minutes to help move the air throughout the room as well as regulating the temperature.
Keep in mind as well that sometimes unfortunately Ts do die without any apparent reason and it is not right to blame yourself.
They are indeed beautiful spider.
Here is a picture of the mature female right after her last molt, no filter, just a 200 lumens torch light on her to bring out the blue.
View attachment 62513
I’ll look into approving my ventilation for my other Ts just in case that was the problem! Thank you for your help and reassurance!!

Latest posts