• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help! My new juvenile female has me worried!

Bibbyboppityboo

I'm so so so sorry to be so panicked but I'm very scared for my baby girl. I just received a juvenile Honduran curly haired female at 12:00pm today, but now its 5:00am and she's looking quite pitiful. Early today she was lively and happy, exploring everything. Now she won't leave the wall of her enclosure, she's got 4 of her legs curled in (all on the same side) and I'm wondering what happened. I thought maybe she was dehydrated, so I opened her enclosure and she bolted. I got her back in safely and positioned her over the water bowl, which she refused to drink from. Is she resting?? Is she just stressed from shipping?? I know I didn't injure her getting her back in her enclosure, what else could it be? I know its not molt because the breeder said she just molted. Can tarantulas death curl on the wall? please tell me no.

First photo is her earlier today.
Second is of her now, she's been in this exact spot for a while.

IMG_3184.jpg
IMG_3210.jpg

T-Baby

3 Year Member
Just leave her be, let her settle down and settle in. She’s been removed from her home and shoved in a box, we as humans don’t even settle down in a new home that quick, it’s no different for her.
Put her somewhere dark so she feels secure and leave her be for a few days, she’ll be fine :)

Bibbyboppityboo

Just leave her be, let her settle down and settle in. She’s been removed from her home and shoved in a box, we as humans don’t even settle down in a new home that quick, it’s no different for her.
Put her somewhere dark so she feels secure and leave her be for a few days, she’ll be fine :)

Yeah she moved into a threat posture a couple minutes ago and has decided she’s gonna stay like that I guess. I feel so bad that I stressed her out, but at least I know she’s alive and can move well enough. As you can see I’m a nervous first timer, so thank you! Your reassurance means a great deal to me

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yeah she moved into a threat posture a couple minutes ago and has decided she’s gonna stay like that I guess. I feel so bad that I stressed her out, but at least I know she’s alive and can move well enough. As you can see I’m a nervous first timer, so thank you! Your reassurance means a great deal to me
great advice from @T-Baby, the fact that your spider had bolted as well as giving you a threat posture shows your spider is healthy, she is just getting used to her new home. That species likes dry substeate so just check it's not too wet. You are doing great and you obviously care a lot about your spider.:)
I would personally remove a lot of that moss as it traps moisture which isnt needed for that species. That's just me though. :)

T-Baby

3 Year Member
You can buy dry moss for aesthetics purposes, come in various colours too.
Keep the substrate dry for this species, with a topped up water dish.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You can buy dry moss for aesthetics purposes, come in various colours too.
Keep the substrate dry for this species, with a topped up water dish.
do they come in neon colours? Always like neon...LOL