• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

HELP! MOLD + Photos

Amelia Saffron

3 Year Member
I own a 2 year old pink toe and her tank is very humid, but the logs in there have started to grow mold, blue-ish green-ish patches and white specks. (photos)

What shall I do? I know mold can be dangerous, shall I wash the logs?

NB: I have only had her for a week, so I am very much a beginner. The previous owner set up the tank very differently, a climbing log, hiding log, water bowl, not very humid and stones floor. I changed this to sterile soil and added some fake reptile plants, water bowl and I water spray the tank once in a while, keeping the logs. Should I have washed the logs?

Further question, is my environment for her now too humid? (photo)

Please please help, I did my research before getting here but clearly I have missed something!

Attachments

• DSC_0688.JPG
    DSC_0688.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 113
  • DSC_0689.JPG
    DSC_0689.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 109
  • DSC_0690.JPG
    DSC_0690.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 106

Christell Erasmus

3 Year Member
hi there,
You can take the logs out and wash them in warm water of even boil them for a little bit and then just scrub of all the mold, if the problem reoccurs take the logs out. make sure there is enough ventilation in your tank, remember its easy to add more moisture and humidity but hard to take it out once you added to much. but I love your enclosure setup, beautiful!

Spidro

3 Year Member
Hey hey, ventalation should be fine for the exo-terra automatically. Ud be surprised how much humidty is added with just a couple spirts of a spray bottle. Got a hydrometer and with misting only 4-5 sprays every two weeks the humidity was at 90, which is way too high. Same tank too. So I barely mist at all anymore and with the small waterdish and a few bits of moss it seems to hold it at a comfortable 50. Youd want around 70 for a pink toe. Seems like you would have had a lot of moisture in there if they would have molded in 1-2 weeks. Analog hydromerers are like 8 bucks at the pet store, good to have for avics especially. Hope this helps and good luck! Nice setup though \m/

Sabeth

3 Year Member
It sounds like the humidity may be too high. Misting isn't usually necessary unless you are raising a sling or keeping a swamp-dwelling T like E. murinus, T. blondi, etc. It can also be useful during premolt but other than that it's generally not required.

You can control humidity by using a larger water dish and/or restricting ventilation. If you have mold growing that's a good indicator it might be too wet. I keep my 2-inch A. versicolor (Martinique Pinktoe) with a water dish that covers almost all of the cage's bottom (the Avicularia have little to no association with the floor so they don't need the "crawling" space), and a screened vent that I used to keep almost completely covered with plastic wrap but I now have it open, since once a T reaches the 2-inch mark they don't need such high humidity anymore.

The arboreal Ts do best with a higher humidity plus good ventilation. According to The Tarantula Keeper's Guide, a good system to achieve this is to use a bigger water dish to increase evaporation of moisture into the air, while the ventilation provides an escape route for it, thus keeping the humidity going but also keeping the air moving.

You can probably just wipe the mold off the log, if it's not a very huge amount. Once you cut down on the humidity, the mold growth should stop, or at least be reduced considerably.

Amelia Saffron

3 Year Member
It sounds like the humidity may be too high. Misting isn't usually necessary unless you are raising a sling or keeping a swamp-dwelling T like E. murinus, T. blondi, etc. It can also be useful during premolt but other than that it's generally not required.

You can control humidity by using a larger water dish and/or restricting ventilation. If you have mold growing that's a good indicator it might be too wet. I keep my 2-inch A. versicolor (Martinique Pinktoe) with a water dish that covers almost all of the cage's bottom (the Avicularia have little to no association with the floor so they don't need the "crawling" space), and a screened vent that I used to keep almost completely covered with plastic wrap but I now have it open, since once a T reaches the 2-inch mark they don't need such high humidity anymore.

The arboreal Ts do best with a higher humidity plus good ventilation. According to The Tarantula Keeper's Guide, a good system to achieve this is to use a bigger water dish to increase evaporation of moisture into the air, while the ventilation provides an escape route for it, thus keeping the humidity going but also keeping the air moving.

You can probably just wipe the mold off the log, if it's not a very huge amount. Once you cut down on the humidity, the mold growth should stop, or at least be reduced considerably.

I've taken most of your advice, and so far it seems to be working so far, I'll probably change to a wider water dish later on when I find something suitable. Thank you

lorinmartin1

3 Year Member
hi- I know the problem- I live in florida- it's very humid here! But Tea tree oil will naturally kill most molds- You will want to relocate the tarantula- for about a week after you the oil/ water mix has been used. Do this after the Tarantula has been removed from the container- to another temporary place- and let the treated area dry out ! then replace the tarantula but if it seems very agitated- remove it to its stand-by home for a few more days, The tea-tree oil thing has not bothered any of mine, but stay on the safe side!
I hope this helps.

Latest posts