• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help: Mites?

Eukio

3 Year Member
Will you help me identify these bugs and tell me if they are harmful to my tarantula?
I am not sure if they are on my taratula, but here is a picture.
fthcn6.png

When I pulled out a dubia from her cage, the bugs were all over the dubia. I have video of that.

Can anyone tell me what these bugs are, if they are harmful, and if they are, how to get rid of them?

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Mites....To control the population of them let your substrate completely dry out. Remove all food waste as well. You'll never get rid of them all...they will always come back. If they are really bad you can change the substrate out. A trick I've seen was remove the T into a deli container for the night. Place a carrot or vegetable in the container with the T. In the morning all the mites will be on the carrot. I've never done it but saw photos in a blog once.

Eukio

3 Year Member
Mites....To control the population of them let your substrate completely dry out. Remove all food waste as well. You'll never get rid of them all...they will always come back. If they are really bad you can change the substrate out. A trick I've seen was remove the T into a deli container for the night. Place a carrot or vegetable in the container with the T. In the morning all the mites will be on the carrot. I've never done it but saw photos in a blog once.

Would lettuce work? What do I do about her enclosure, hide, and water bowl?

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Depends how bad you have them...they don't hurt the T. They may irritate the T if you have too many. If you do a substrate change, wash everything and put dry substrate in the enclosure. Lettuce would work...they are scavenger looking for a free meal...theyll jump off and eat that lettuce. The T should be ok for 24hrs without water.