• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help me out here with pronunciation

tapkoote

3 Year Member
Brachypelma
I've watched some foreign folks and couldn't quite get it, is it brack-E-pelma?
And I just watched a fellow(NO NAMES) Who absoulty botched a rehousing using H2o.
Thats beyound belief, I understand the theory of rain flooding a burrow. But give it some time to work. Don't just dig em out and dump the mud, hard to believe. I thought I was hard on my first T. I'll bet a half hour would have put the spider on top of the substrate.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Brachypelma
I've watched some foreign folks and couldn't quite get it, is it brack-E-pelma?
And I just watched a fellow(NO NAMES) Who absoulty botched a rehousing using H2o.
Thats beyound belief, I understand the theory of rain flooding a burrow. But give it some time to work. Don't just dig em out and dump the mud, hard to believe. I thought I was hard on my first T. I'll bet a half hour would have put the spider on top of the substrate.
Link? i'd like to see that.

i say it like it's spelled. brack e pelma I've heard one person on youtube say it with the ch soft like saying child. Makes me laugh when people say the ch part of words wrong, "I go to shool and have a shedule" :p

Lee. M

3 Year Member
The 'c' is a hard c sound. Most scientific names derive from Greek and Latin, so pronounce it as you would a 'k'.
And while on the subject, wtf is a peesilotheria, or po'seelotheria?!

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks Enny! There are a million different ways people have pronounced Poecilotheria. It’s nice to know how it is supposed to be pronounced!!!!
@tapkoote: To Tom’s credit, he berates his technique and claims that it does not work for him. (I think he advises not to use it)

Latest posts