• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help me Choose my Next Tarantula

P. auratus or P. sp machala

• Total voters

NorseDad

I was given the green light to buy another tarantula from my wife. I am trying to decide between a P. auratus and a P. sp machala. I do not have any Phormictopus or Pamphobeteus species. I can get both around the same price at about 1" slings. Let me know what you would choose and why.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
9740BEA8-14E7-46D8-85E3-FF2901D4B244.jpeg
id personally choose Machala but honestly I couldn’t give a valid reason why. Machala are nicer imo but lose colour as the females get larger. Auratus keep the colour and now as I’m writing this I’m changing my mind. Is both an option? :(

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm not much help as I couldn't choose between either... As a genus I prefer phormictopus but that being said pamphobeteus are all gorgeous too.. Its too hard to pick one :(

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Both are aggressive eaters and grow to be a fairly large T. I would choose the Phormictopus auratus. I have owned both but in my opinion the auratus is more beautiful.

NorseDad

id personally choose Machala but honestly I couldn’t give a valid reason why. Machala are nicer imo but lose colour as the females get larger. Auratus keep the colour and now as I’m writing this I’m changing my mind. Is both an option? :(

I'll definitely be getting both at some point. My wife isn't opposed to more tarantulas, but after 16 she's asking me to pace myself lol.

NorseDad

Both are aggressive eaters and grow to be a fairly large T. I would choose the Phormictopus auratus. I have owned both but in my opinion the auratus is more beautiful.

I will go for a P auratus.It is a gorgeous spider as adult.Check Tom Moran latest feeding video it has an adult female in it.
Mine is only a juvenile and is one of my favourite Ts

I've heard some people (like Tom Moran) say that the P. auratus tends to be more shy than most other Phormictopus. Has that been your experience?

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've heard some people (like Tom Moran) say that the P. auratus tends to be more shy than most other Phormictopus. Has that been your experience?
The juvie we have has never been shy.. Never burrowed away either but as you know they are all individuals :) we had both the above species since 2nd instar slings and behaviour wise have been very very similar.. I would say that our machala has always been a better feeder though it has never refused a meal

Latest posts