• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

help is this normal

Logan D

3 Year Member
so my T. Stirmi molted yesterday and today i find him like laying or stretched out over his water dish so me thinking hes drowning i kind nudged him on his but and he just ran out the water dish so im guessing he was drinking but ive never seen anything like tht before

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello
Usually after a molt,some T's are dehydrated and tired. So this could just be the T rehydrating itself, especially a T of that size. My large T's like my Giant white knee and Lasiodora Parahybana,do the same after a molt.

Last edited:

Logan D

3 Year Member
Hello
Usually after a molt,some T's are dehydrated and tired. So this could just be the T,rehydrating itself especially a T of that size. My large T's like my Giant white knee and Lasiodora Parahybana,do the same after a molt.
oh i was kinda worried about him so i over flowed his water dish

hellknite

3 Year Member
Hello
Usually after a molt,some T's are dehydrated and tired. So this could just be the T rehydrating itself, especially a T of that size. My large T's like my Giant white knee and Lasiodora Parahybana,do the same after a molt.
I noticed the same with those 2 species you mentioned. Most specially the parahybana. I see her drink every week.

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I noticed the same with those 2 species you mentioned. Most specially the parahybana. I see her drink every week.
Ditto (minus the LP sling, I hardly see that doing anything, lol). My Genic drinks and also uses her water bowls to dip her pedipalps in when she grooms herself. She's great!
I've only ever seen my Rosea drink once. Usually she hates water and does a funny leggy dance if she accidentally touches her bowl.
But speaking of water bowls, I had a funny "incident" with my P. met sling last night. I saw that it's water was empty and the sling was sitting inside the bowl, had even webbed it up a bit. I tried gently blowing on it to move it, but it just ignored me so I used a paint brush to softly nudge it out. It worked but the sling moved very reluctantly as if it didn't want to leave the bowl. Anyway, got it out and realised I didn't have my little syringe to fill the bowl. I went and got it, got ready to refill the water and guess what? The little dude sat right back inside the dish, lol. Like a stroppy tiny teenager! He's got plants and bark to hide, but no, he's doing his own thing, lol.