• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help identifying baboon spider

tapkoote

3 Year Member
This is a baboon spider, Sabi Sands S. Africa, I've looked around and can't find coloring like it. It was spotted on Live Safari Wild Earth. Hoping to find the name.
thanks tap
Baboon.png

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It looks to me like an Encyocratella olivacea (Usambara Black-femured Baboon)

KezyGLA

3 Year Member
Very interesting for sure. I haven't seen this colouring on any species endemic to SA.

Can't be Encyocratella olivacea as they are endemic to Tanzania. This will be a species from Harpactirinae subfamily.

My guesses would be that it belongs to Harpactirella or Brachionopus.

It sure is interesting. If you contact the team at www.baboonspideratlas.co.za and send photos with info on locality etc, they will be happy to help. It will also be valuable to their study.

Would you mind if I used tour picture to send to a few friends that may be able to help?

Last edited:

tapkoote

3 Year Member
Very interesting for sure. I haven't seen this colouring on any species endemic to SA.

Can't be Encyocratella olivacea as they are endemic to Tanzania. This will be a species from Harpactirinae subfamily.

My guesses would be that it belongs to Harpactirella or Brachionopus.

It sure is interesting. If you contact the team at www.baboonspideratlas.co.za and send photos with info on locality etc, they will be happy to help. It will also be valuable to their study.

Would you mind if I used tour picture to send to a few friends that may be able to help?
I tried to contact spider atlas, I think the info went through but couldn't figure out how to post a picture.
They should find it from the vid link.
The trouble is the presenters on safari live think any spider that lives in a burrow is a baboon.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

Encyocratella olivacea are from Usambara which is in S.Africa.

KezyGLA

3 Year Member
Encyocratella olivacea are from Usambara which is in S.Africa.
The Usambara mountains are situated in north east Tanzania bordering Kenya.

Almost everyone in SA that doesn't know much about arachnids will call any Theraphosidae a 'baboon spider', which is quite unfortunate when trying to pin ID to a species. Even a more specific common name would help.

Judginng by its size, banding in the legs and the lack of starburst carapace, I'm sticking with Brachionopus. I know that they first collected Brachionopus cf. robustus from near this location.

tapkoote

3 Year Member
Judginng by its size, banding in the legs and the lack of starburst carapace, I'm sticking with Brachionopus. I know that they first collected Brachionopus cf. robustus from near this location.

By it's size? He said it was about the size of his thumb nail, it's a juvenile. I posted the name with wild Earth, I've heard a lot of what it isn't - but black leg femur suites it, better than their guesses. The South African baboon folks haven't said any different. The fellow from England, who rote the book hasn't said a word, maybe it's not been filmed. One thing I've found during this search, these scientific descriptions have few pictures. I'm new to the hobby and the "net", I thought all these sort of things were posted.

Latest posts