• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

help identify please

Nemoq

3 Year Member
Hi can someone please help identify this spider

Attachments

• IMG-20170314-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20170314-WA0001.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG-20170314-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20170314-WA0002.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 62

ManlyMan7

3 Year Member
Context might help. Where did you see this spider? How big is it?

My first impression is that it is a Dolomedes species.

But I am not a true spider expert.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Nemoq

3 Year Member
Sorry I am from South Africa and the pics were sent to me from a friend this spider had babies on a fence in his back yard. and I have no idea how big he is

Nemoq

3 Year Member
and I don't think it is Dolomedes species. as he stays in the city no where near water. if I am correct the Dolomedes species are fishing spiders

Nemoq

3 Year Member
All I know is the guys thinks it looks like a Brazilian wandering spider. now im not sure how big they get but this spider is about 16-18cm. also like I said im from south Africa and these guys are not from here unless someone had one as a pet and it maybe escaped I don't see how it can be the Brazilian. he said he was cleaning his yard and bumped the fence when this guy came out. he says the spider is lightning fast and seems aggressive.

Marija

3 Year Member
All I know is the guys thinks it looks like a Brazilian wandering spider. now im not sure how big they get but this spider is about 16-18cm. also like I said im from south Africa and these guys are not from here unless someone had one as a pet and it maybe escaped I don't see how it can be the Brazilian. he said he was cleaning his yard and bumped the fence when this guy came out. he says the spider is lightning fast and seems aggressive.
I don't think that the Brazilian wandering spider gets that big, I think it gets to about 13 cm leg span top and on the pictures I don't see any black bands on its legs so again I'm leaning to a huntsman spider. These guys can get pretty big.

Nemoq

3 Year Member
I got a bad pic from the bottom where the spider has bands but I also don't think it is a Brazilian. does the huntsman and Brazilian share some characteristics ?

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
yea I honestly don't think its the brazilian wandering spider or simply getting that close would it to do the threat posture seen in Marijas picture and they tend to rock side to side in the threat posture as well.. the coloring + size makes me feel pretty confident it's the huntsmen spider but as with all situations where you're not 100% certain it's not the lethal spider it's best that you stay away from it because it's just not worth the risk

Latest posts