• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help i think my T is dying?

Luvs

Im knew to T keeping( yes im sure that is the first red flag.) I got a juv Antilles pinktoe 5 days ago. Approximately 2 to 3 inches head to butt. And she was doing really well until last night. She ate the day after i got her to my surprise and made her first web the day after that. Then last night i noticed she was drinking from her water dish. Which wasnt to much of a concern until later. Shes been curled up, not completly a death curl but enough to be worrisome. She normal sat on top of a make shift paper roll hide, but is now sitting on the bottom of the temp tank near her water. I came home after work today to see her in the same position. She moves but she wobbles and her legs dont extend to far. She keeps going from her water dish to her hide and back.
I cant get an accurate temp and humid check cause her temp tank is to small for one but the guage is above the lid. It fluxes from 80f to 90f. With humidity of 45 to 55. She has a small water bowl always full and i did damp the substrate.
Her actions suggest dehydration but im not to sure. Im so scared shes dying. And i dont want to loose my first ever t.
Is there something im missing?

spookworm

Sounds like pretty usual T behavior to me. I haven't kept versicolors before, but I've had another arboreal species that behaved similarly to what you're describing. I think the fact that she is moving around from her water dish, hide, and back suggests that she is fairly active and healthy. If she were on the verge of death, I would presume she wouldn't move whatsoever and begin to curl her legs in. I think you may be mistaking her legs curling with simply just tucking them in. It sounds like she has everything she needs to survive. Don't panic too much. It may be a good idea to get another person's opinion, but I think she's ok. I remember when I got my first T and always suspected the worst with everything. They're not quite as sensitive as you'd think :)
Typically, the most visual symptom of dehydration is a wrinkled abdomen. She has all the water & humidity she needs so I highly doubt this is the cause.
Keep an eye on her and continue to provide her with what she needs.

Luvs

Its the wobbling that conserns me, she usually moves precisely with legs out. But now she wobbled back and forth. Legs staying tucked.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi
Is it possible to post some pics of your T and it's enclosure so we can help you better? :)

Luvs

Its a small critter keeper, temporary till the real tank comes in.

Attachments

• 20200813_152139.jpg
    20200813_152139.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 89
  • 20200807_151231.jpg
    20200807_151231.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 89

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Avic can suffer from sudden Avic death syndrome which is caused by being kept in a stuffy humid enclosure with not enough cross ventilation - does your enclosure have plenty of cross ventilation?

Luvs

Avic can suffer from sudden Avic death syndrome which is caused by being kept in a stuffy humid enclosure with not enough cross ventilation - does your enclosure have plenty of cross ventilation?
Yes its holed along the while top, the black tjing in her dish it just a mesh to keep her from drowning herself right now.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Apologies I was writing the previous post when you posted the pictures -
I can't see any sort of cork bark in your enclosure? Avics need vertical placed cork bark and plants to feel comfortable - an exposed tarantula with nowhere to climb/hide will not be a happy one - a tall upright deli cup with lots of cross ventilation will suit it better and please take the mesh out of the dish, your T will not drown the mesh will do more harm than good - hope that helps :)

Luvs

It doesnt show in the pic but she has a higher up surface she made her web in thats between some fern plants. Its where she usually sat.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I think its too late she is now death curled and isnt moving
Is it in its water dish?
I'd just like to explain that S.A.D.S isn't a disease its basically an explanation for incorrect husbandry... I hope you manage to save your T

Luvs

I think its too late she is now death curled and isnt moving
She flinches but thats it
Is it in its water dish?
I'd just like to explain that S.A.D.S isn't a disease its basically an explanation for incorrect husbandry... I hope you manage to
Is it in its water dish?
I'd just like to explain that S.A.D.S isn't a disease its basically an explanation for incorrect husbandry... I hope you manage to save your T
She climbed out and her legs are now complety curled.
I know it wasnt the best set up, i had a good vertical tank coming in this weekend. And as i mentioned she ate and made a web up off the ground. It was so sudden and nothing changed.
I feel so horrible right now.

Luvs

Thats what i had coming in. The only reason i dodnt already have one cause the store i got her from didnt have any to purchase.
I just spent all this money and now it looks to late.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
She flinches but thats it
It doesn't sound positive - I will be honest and say I often see posts on this forum about Avic/caribena that end up in a similar position as yours-- the best advice I can give is please do your research thoroughly before obtaining tarantulas as its sad to hear that people lose them through lack of understanding the needs of these beautiful creatures although it's not done on purpose its a real shame - always listen to any advice offered from @Arachnoclown as he's the most knowledgeably person on this forum when it comes to their care :)