• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help! I fed my avic. metallica directly after her molt!

Jacqueline King

I was just feeding my avic metallica a small roach and accidentally dropped it in her web & when I looked in I realized there was a fresh molt in there! I panicked because I know if she attempts to eat before her fangs harden, that could be potentially fatal. Her web is shaped kind of like a sock and the roach was at the bottom so I tried to cut a little hole in the bottom of the web for the roach to escape through without disturbing her too much. I'm so worried and I feel like such an idiot. What should I do? If I knew she had just molted I wouldn't have even attempted to feed her, ugh. ) ':

timc

3 Year Member
A good trick is to put something your feeder will eat in the opposite corner of where the spider lives (burrow, web etc..) and before long the feeder insect will come over to eat, making it much easier to remove. I used to be one of those keepers that worried a lot about “disturbing their web” and I found this trick to work great.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Roaches won’t munch on the T. Crickets will but roaches are fine

Idk about that, friend. I've had lateralis that would munch on a T. They LOVE protein!! I've had lateralis feeders bite me! Sad but true. I wouldn't worry too much about dubia, though.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Idk about that, friend. I've had lateralis that would munch on a T. They LOVE protein!! I've had lateralis feeders bite me! Sad but true. I wouldn't worry too much about dubia, though.
I apologise for a stupid assumption. This side of the pond b lats aren't too popular so when someone says roaches my default is Dubia. My bad

Jacqueline King

A good trick is to put something your feeder will eat in the opposite corner of where the spider lives (burrow, web etc..) and before long the feeder insect will come over to eat, making it much easier to remove. I used to be one of those keepers that worried a lot about “disturbing their web” and I found this trick to work great.
Thank you!! I ended up doing that last night. Haven't seen the feeder yet to remove it, but these particular roaches love to burrow. A day after the incident and the T is seemingly fine. Fingers crossed it was a good molt and everything is fine. I appreciate the help!!

Dave burr

I was just feeding my avic metallica a small roach and accidentally dropped it in her web & when I looked in I realized there was a fresh molt in there! I panicked because I know if she attempts to eat before her fangs harden, that could be potentially fatal. Her web is shaped kind of like a sock and the roach was at the bottom so I tried to cut a little hole in the bottom of the web for the roach to escape through without disturbing her too much. I'm so worried and I feel like such an idiot. What should I do? If I knew she had just molted I wouldn't have even attempted to feed her, ugh. ) ':
I'm sure she
I'm Sure she won't bother with it if she's not ready to feed yet, I'm sure she will eat it once she's ready. :)

Doozer

3 Year Member
When I am concerned about my Ts welfare, I think about how they would react to the situation in the wild. If they have molted and not ready to eat, they will avoid or run away from anything violating their space. They know gore to take care of themselves. When thet are in the act of molting id when thet are vulnerable.

John Dreyer

Yeah, they know when they can eat, i think it will be fine, but try to get the feeder out

She’ll be ok. Roach won’t do anything to the T. When she’s ready to eat she’ll take it

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
If your tarantula feels bothered, it will walk away. If the roach sees movement it will as well. You see, all will be good! ;)

Jacqueline King

Thanks to everyone who responded to this! I figured I should update: My T is fine! It's been two and a half weeks and she's got quite the appetite now. However, she still seems mad that I poked a hole in her web and has taken to using a cork hide as her new home. In fact, it kind of seems like she's trying to tear her old web down, every day it seems to look a little more deflated. I appreciate everyone who tried to ease my troubled mind. Now I've just got to try to sex this molt! (I've been hopefully referring to her as a "she," but sadly based on her molt she might be a male. I'm no expert though.)

IMG_20200801_2213467.jpgIMG_20200801_223049.jpg

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
In your first picture I don’t see enough. If I enlarge the second one it looks like a spermatheca. If so it is a she...:cool:

Latest posts