• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help feeding first tarantula. Am i in trouble here?

flanneldan9

So I tried to feed my Brachypelma albopilosum (Curly hair tarantula) today for the first time. This is my first spider, and the gal at the pet store said he will eat twice a week, mealworms. I dropped one in and all that is happening is my spider is basically trying to escape the mealworm (which is inside his burrow). Now I am a bit worried since I have read the mealworm could actually kill my spider. What should I be doing here? This happened about an hour ago with no change. Thanks, this is my first tarantula and I have had him a grand total of 3 days:) the picture a bit tough to see, but the spider is in the top right of the den thing he made (which seems to be getting bigger every day). Also, the spider seems very active and healthy,
IMG_20190428_131443.jpg
with a nice fat belly, so did I just feed to soon?

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
You should smash the worms head or cut it off. It will still thrash and kick a while and the tarantula will sense this. If it doesnt want to eat at all it may be in premolt and this can last quite a while with curly hairs.

Tnoob

So I tried to feed my Brachypelma albopilosum (Curly hair tarantula) today for the first time. This is my first spider, and the gal at the pet store said he will eat twice a week, mealworms. I dropped one in and all that is happening is my spider is basically trying to escape the mealworm (which is inside his burrow). Now I am a bit worried since I have read the mealworm could actually kill my spider. What should I be doing here? This happened about an hour ago with no change. Thanks, this is my first tarantula and I have had him a grand total of 3 days:) the picture a bit tough to see, but the spider is in the top right of the den thing he made (which seems to be getting bigger every day). Also, the spider seems very active and healthy,View attachment 36871 with a nice fat belly, so did I just feed to soon?
I was having this same issue with my P. Murinus, whom I believe is in the 3rd instar. Same issue, again arachnoclown came to the rescue, and the tip about crushing prey is very helpful. My murinus doesn't seem to like to eat while I am watching. That's another thing that might help you.

Mr. P

3 Year Member
I usually feed my slings right before it gets dark. Slings that stay in their burrow will normally come out when it gets dark. So I cut up a superworm just before it gets dark and if it is still there in the morning then I remove it.

Tnoob

I usually feed my slings right before it gets dark. Slings that stay in their burrow will normally come out when it gets dark. So I cut up a superworm just before it gets dark and if it is still there in the morning then I remove it.
I have noticed this too, but I get food response regardless of time of day.