• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help Choosing a First Poecilotheria

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
I've been reading old threads here and the other site for weeks now. I've watched hours and hours of youtube vids and I've narrowed it down to three species. As usual, I would like to ask the advice of those more experienced than me. My choice of these three is fairly arbitrary, so I could also be easily convinced to try a different species first.

@Arachnoclown showed a gorgeous Poecilotheria in one of his recent videos and I had to ask him what it was. He told me it was a P. ornata. I watched the video about five times and showed my daughter too. Wow. The way it moved out of its cork hollow was magical. The size was surprising. That sparked more research and I don't think I realized how big some of the Poecilotheria could get. I like big spiders. I like big pretty spiders even more. I'm also really enjoying my other new arboreals, so this seems like a good progression for me.

In trying to figure out what species was in the video, I looked up a bunch of them to see what I could learn. I also really like P. rufilata and subfusca. These would be my top three choices, based on my very limited knowledge. I'd love to hear any insight from people that know these species.

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
I have a p.regalis and p.formosa, both are great Ts but any pokie really would be a great addition for a experienced keeper, you can't go wrong. I love the way the formosa looks, the purple glare is stunning in the right light. Got both of mine as slings and they've grown rapidly, so won't be very long before you have a good size spider if you end up getting a sling. Fun Ts to raise, you won't be disappointed no matter what you go with.

Metalman2004

3 Year Member
I have a p.regalis and p.formosa, both are great Ts but any pokie really would be a great addition for a experienced keeper, you can't go wrong. I love the way the formosa looks, the purple glare is stunning in the right light. Got both of mine as slings and they've grown rapidly, so won't be very long before you have a good size spider if you end up getting a sling. Fun Ts to raise, you won't be disappointed no matter what you go with.

Still waiting on my formosa to develop its purple. Still a cool Poec though. Like you said they’re all cool.

sdsnybny

3 Year Member
Both P. rufilata and P. ornata are reported to get 8-10" and I know they can reach 8" in 2.5yrs since I raised my rufilata from a sling. Just love the greens and brick red setae highlights.
Her last molt
2018-04-14 10.31.07.jpg

2018-04-13 22.19.42.jpg
2018-04-13 22.18.08.jpg

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've been reading old threads here and the other site for weeks now. I've watched hours and hours of youtube vids and I've narrowed it down to three species. As usual, I would like to ask the advice of those more experienced than me. My choice of these three is fairly arbitrary, so I could also be easily convinced to try a different species first.

@Arachnoclown showed a gorgeous Poecilotheria in one of his recent videos and I had to ask him what it was. He told me it was a P. ornata. I watched the video about five times and showed my daughter too. Wow. The way it moved out of its cork hollow was magical. The size was surprising. That sparked more research and I don't think I realized how big some of the Poecilotheria could get. I like big spiders. I like big pretty spiders even more. I'm also really enjoying my other new arboreals, so this seems like a good progression for me.

In trying to figure out what species was in the video, I looked up a bunch of them to see what I could learn. I also really like P. rufilata and subfusca. These would be my top three choices, based on my very limited knowledge. I'd love to hear any insight from people that know these species.

I have a P striata, which turned out to be male. He's a very calm patient tarantula that doesn't even mind if I maintain his cage. I don't have to remove him to do work on it. Assuming mine is typical, I recommend this species hands down as a 2nd or later arboreal.

P subfusca either form highland or lowland is also worth looking into. They're gorgeous, reported to not get quite as big as some of the others & do especially well at lower temperatures. That knocks down the cost of an enclosure.

To be sure, most pokies will tolerate 70 degrees at a minimum, but they don't really like it & do better at 80-82 degrees. My striata likes it at 82.5 degrees but doing that safely is straight forward but might be complex for some & requires following strict guidelines, which are out of scope of this discussion. I'm basing that on my P striata, which I'm assuming is fairly typical. He will move away to a cooler area if temps go over 83 degrees.

P subfusca will actually be harmed at such temps and can even function within the high 60s assuming my research is accurate.

P Ornata is among the largest arboreal tarantulas on Earth & I've even heard reports of 10" specimens. That's probably a lot to handle for one's first pokie & even if the spider is a perfect angel, it'll require a mammoth arboreal enclosure. An ExoTerra Nano or a Terra Blue professional 3 gallon (8x4x12) won't cut it. Even if I have to rehouse my P striata, it'll just be in a Nano same type as my Versicolor is in

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
I have a P striata, which turned out to be male. He's a very calm patient tarantula that doesn't even mind if I maintain his cage. I don't have to remove him to do work on it. Assuming mine is typical, I recommend this species hands down as a 2nd or later arboreal.

P subfusca either form highland or lowland is also worth looking into. They're gorgeous, reported to not get quite as big as some of the others & do especially well at lower temperatures. That knocks down the cost of an enclosure.

To be sure, most pokies will tolerate 70 degrees at a minimum, but they don't really like it & do better at 80-82 degrees. My striata likes it at 82.5 degrees but doing that safely is straight forward but might be complex for some & requires following strict guidelines, which are out of scope of this discussion. I'm basing that on my P striata, which I'm assuming is fairly typical. He will move away to a cooler area if temps go over 83 degrees.

P subfusca will actually be harmed at such temps and can even function within the high 60s assuming my research is accurate.

P Ornata is among the largest arboreal tarantulas on Earth & I've even heard reports of 10" specimens. That's probably a lot to handle for one's first pokie & even if the spider is a perfect angel, it'll require a mammoth arboreal enclosure. An ExoTerra Nano or a Terra Blue professional 3 gallon (8x4x12) won't cut it. Even if I have to rehouse my P striata, it'll just be in a Nano same type as my Versicolor is in
Good info. Thank you. My reptile room stays 80-90 most of the year. Maybe down to 76 on a super freezing winter night and up to 92 on a scorching hot 110+ summer day.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Cool !! Those are great temps. I'd go with something that likes that temp. What others do you have and how well do they like your setup? Specifically, what other arboreal Ts do you have? These guys are good 2nd ones, but there are enough differences between terrestrial ones and arboreal ones to make going from strictly terrestrial ones to a pokie problematic in some cases.

My first T and first arboreal was C versicolor, great T but a total spaz if the enclosure is to small. The infamous leap of faith is part of owning a versicolor. He's a suspect male by the name of Charles, currently chilling out in an ExoTerra Nano enclosure.

That's just one of the things I can't stand about the "ladder". They claim that its just New World to Old world, anything to anything as long as it isn't to insane. Truthfully, if you go for that logic, there are really 2 separate and unrelated ones. Arboreal NW to OW and terrestrial NW to OW.

I also posted a video elsewhere on this forum showing me maintaining my P striata cage. It's pretty crappy but still interesting.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
Cool !! Those are great temps. I'd go with something that likes that temp. What others do you have and how well do they like your setup? Specifically, what other arboreal Ts do you have? These guys are good 2nd ones, but there are enough differences between terrestrial ones and arboreal ones to make going from strictly terrestrial ones to a pokie problematic in some cases.

That's just one of the things I can't stand about the "ladder". They claim that its just New World to Old world, anything to anything as long as it isn't to insane. Truthfully, if you go for that logic, there are really 2 separate and unrelated ones. Arboreal NW to OW and terrestrial NW to OW.
Many years ago I raised a pink toe. Currently, I have C. versicolor, A. purpurea, Psalmopoeous irminia and P. pulcher slings for arboreals. I also have P. mutica, H. pulchripes, I. mira, and H. gigas, C. lividum, O. philippinus and an OBT for old world stuff.

Do I pass? Am I ready?

LuboMoravcik

3 Year Member
Many years ago I raised a pink toe. Currently, I have C. versicolor, A. purpurea, Psalmopoeous irminia and P. pulcher slings for arboreals. I also have P. mutica, H. pulchripes, I. mira, and H. gigas, C. lividum, O. philippinus and an OBT for old world stuff.

Do I pass? Am I ready?
I think you’re ready for a Poeci, going on the other species you already have.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Here's the latest pics of Patrick, P Striata. They came out fairly well. I'm posting them for inspiration. Still, finding a small sexed confirmed female might be a better choice then an unsexed sling.

I'm surprised you didn't get a pokie sooner.

P striata Patrick cleaned cage 1.jpg
P striata Patrick clean cage 3.jpg
P striata Patrick clean cage 2.jpg

I already posted this here but it's relevant to this page. The video quality is subpar but I got some nice views of Patrick and there is some info that might help.

The protection isn't necessary, just a precaution.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Here's the latest pics of Patrick, P Striata. They came out fairly well. I'm posting them for inspiration. Still, finding a small sexed confirmed female might be a better choice then an unsexed sling.

I'm surprised you didn't get a pokie sooner.

View attachment 30864 View attachment 30865 View attachment 30866

I already posted this here but it's relevant to this page. The video quality is subpar but I got some nice views of Patrick and there is some info that might help.

The protection isn't necessary, just a precaution.
Those gloves....looks like your going to cage fight that pokie.:D

Latest posts