• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello :)

Allison

3 Year Member
Hello everyone, I'm Allison. Just found this forum today (got bored at work). I have 2 T's and just got a scorpion for Mother's Day from my kids. I've had Rosie (Chilean Rose) for 2 years and Pinky (Pinktoe) for about 8 months. I haven't named my scorpion yet... I love these guys and want more!! Unfortunately, I live in a very rural area and have a hard time acquiring T's. I am contemplating ordering online and having them shipped.

20160327_124405-1.jpg
20160330_210018.jpg
20160513_140430.jpg

Thistles

3 Year Member
Hello, other Allison! Your scorp looks fat enough that she might get to celebrate Mother's Day, too! Maybe give her some deep, damp substrate to dig in.

Welcome to the forum! I get almost all of my tarantulas online and highly recommend it, by the way. There are reviews of some of the big vendors and many members sell occasionally, too.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Welcome to the forum.
Hello everyone, I'm Allison. Just found this forum today (got bored at work). I have 2 T's and just got a scorpion for Mother's Day from my kids. I've had Rosie (Chilean Rose) for 2 years and Pinky (Pinktoe) for about 8 months. I haven't named my scorpion yet... I love these guys and want more!! Unfortunately, I live in a very rural area and have a hard time acquiring T's. I am contemplating ordering online and having them shipped.

View attachment 16495 View attachment 16496 View attachment 16497

View attachment 16495 View attachment 16496 View attachment 16497
Having one shipped in a box is nerve wracking the first few times:)
If you stick with reputable sellers though, you'll be fine. Check out our invert vendor review section;)

Allison

3 Year Member
Welcome to the forum.

Having one shipped in a box is nerve wracking the first few times:)
If you stick with reputable sellers though, you'll be fine. Check out our invert vendor review section;)

I've been "studying" vendors and T's all evening... And a few scorpions and a centipede... To be honest I never knew there were so many species of T's out there. I been googling names all night!!

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
One word, Allison. Giant South American Terrestrials. Pamphobeteus. Theraphosa. Phormictopus. Light venom, huge, they grow faster than all the rest, great appetites, HUGE, and the most impressive spiders in the hobby. Ok more than one word. I should have just said Phormictopus. :)

Allison

3 Year Member
And everyone uses acronyms here. I'm going to have to start my own forum dictionary as I figure these out!! Lol

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
And everyone uses acronyms here. I'm going to have to start my own forum dictionary as I figure these out!! Lol

Most of these are accurate :p

BCF - blue color form
DCF – dark color form
LCF – light color form
NCF – normal color form
PCF-- pink color form
RCF – red color form
TCF – typical color form

Apho/Aphos – Tarantula of the genus Aphonopelma
Avic – Tarantula of the genus Avicularia
Avic avic – Avicularia avicularia (pinktoe tarantula)
Baboon spider – Tarantula species from Africa
Blondi - GBE - Goliath – Theraphosa blondi (goliath birdeater tarantula)
Brachy – Tarantula of the genus Brachypelma
CRZ - Aphonopelma seemanni (Costa Rican zebra tarantula)
curly - Brachypelma albopilosum (curlyhair tarantula)
Ecamp - Eupalaestrus campestratus (pink zebra beauty tarantula)
GBB - Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens (green bottleblue tarantula)
genic - Acanthoscurria geniculata (whitebanded tarantula)
Grammy – Tarantula of the genus Grammostola
KB - Pelinobius muticus (king baboon tarantula)
Lassies – Tarantulas of the genus Lasiodora
LBJ = little brown jobby – any of the plain looking brown tarantulas
OBT – Pterinochilus murinus (Mombasa golden starburst) – also called orange baboon tarantula or orange bitey thing
Ornamental Spider - Tarantula of the genus Poecilotheria
Pokie – Tarantula of the genus Poecilotheria
Psalmo – Tarantula of the genus Psalmopoeus
PZB - Eupalaestrus campestratus (pink zebra beauty tarantula)
rosie - Grammostola rosea (Chilean rose tarantula)
Taps – Tarantula of the genus Tapinauchenius
versi – Avicularia versicolor (Antilles pinktoe tarantula)

0.0.0 = male female unsexed
ie: 1.0.3=1 male 0 female 3 unsexed
DLS diagonal leg span. Measurement of T from tip of one front leg diagonally to tip of opposite rearmost leg

Last edited:

Allison

3 Year Member
Hello, other Allison! Your scorp looks fat enough that she might get to celebrate Mother's Day, too! Maybe give her some deep, damp substrate to dig in.

Welcome to the forum! I get almost all of my tarantulas online and highly recommend it, by the way. There are reviews of some of the big vendors and many members sell occasionally, too.

I don't think motherhood is in her future. My son found her at a PetSmart in a tiny little plastic cage and felt sorry for her. There were no other scorpions there.... So he purchased it and brought it home and said "hey mom, I got something you'll like." I said "for me? for Mother's Day?" He said "oh, yeah sure." He's in the Navy and his short leave just coincided with Mother's Day. He had "forgotten" it was Mother's Day. I'm still not sure who he actually bought it for. But I fell in love at first sight! LOL!

Thistles

3 Year Member
PetSmart's scorpions (and pink toes) are all wild caught. She's very possibly gravid, and some sort of Heterometrus sp. probably H. spinifer.

Rmac88

3 Year Member
Most of these are accurate [emoji14]

BCF - blue color form
DCF – dark color form
LCF – light color form
NCF – normal color form
PCF-- pink color form
RCF – red color form
TCF – typical color form

Apho/Aphos – Tarantula of the genus Aphonopelma
Avic – Tarantula of the genus Avicularia
Avic avic – Avicularia avicularia (pinktoe tarantula)
Baboon spider – Tarantula species from Africa
Blondi - GBE - Goliath – Theraphosa blondi (goliath birdeater tarantula)
Brachy – Tarantula of the genus Brachypelma
CRZ - Aphonopelma seemanni (Costa Rican zebra tarantula)
curly - Brachypelma albopilosum (curlyhair tarantula)
Ecamp - Eupalaestrus campestratus (pink zebra beauty tarantula)
GBB - Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens (green bottleblue tarantula)
genic - Acanthoscurria geniculata (whitebanded tarantula)
Grammy – Tarantula of the genus Grammostola
KB - Pelinobius muticus (king baboon tarantula)
Lassies – Tarantulas of the genus Lasiodora
LBJ = little brown jobby – any of the plain looking brown tarantulas
OBT – Pterinochilus murinus (Mombasa golden starburst) – also called orange baboon tarantula or orange bitey thing
Ornamental Spider - Tarantula of the genus Poecilotheria
Pokie – Tarantula of the genus Poecilotheria
Psalmo – Tarantula of the genus Psalmopoeus
PZB - Eupalaestrus campestratus (pink zebra beauty tarantula)
rosie - Grammostola rosea (Chilean rose tarantula)
Taps – Tarantula of the genus Tapinauchenius
versi – Avicularia versicolor (Antilles pinktoe tarantula)

0.0.0 = male female unsexed
ie: 1.0.3=1 male 0 female 3 unsexed
DLS diagonal leg span. Measurement of T from tip of one front leg diagonally to tip of opposite rearmost leg
Im going to pretend I knew all this so as not to give away my noobishness ;-)

Welcome Allison! Awesome forum here, tons of knowledgeable and nice people, although I believe they could also be very enabling, you may go from 3 inverts to 20 just from the "advice"

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk

Latest posts