• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello!

HerpsandSpiders

Hi! I'm new here and I REALLY want to get a tarantula. I have long had a fascination with these beautiful creatures. I currently have a 5 gallon terrarium that I am not using. What species of tarantula would you recommend for a beginner that can go in a 5 gallon? Also is Jamie's Tarantulas a good website to order from?
This is not my first time owning an exotic pet, I currently have an 11 year old leopard gecko, a 2 year old leopard gecko, a baby albino ball python, and a juvenile red eared slider that I've had for about 2 years. Thank you so much and I'm excited to become a part of this community!

Calico

3 Year Member
Hello and welcome!

I kept my first T, a juvenile A.Chalcodes, in a 5 gallon tank with no problem. He was about 3" when I got him. I was totally new to the whole tarantula thing and didn't have a clue. As long as it is able to find the food, it shouldn't be a problem. Make sure you have plenty of substrate in bottom. I always had about 3-4 inches. He was about 5" when he matured and I released him back to the wild. (He was accidentally wild caught). I'm actually about to move my big girl, a T.Albopilosus, into the 5 gal as she's outgrowing her enclosure. She's about 6". I got her from Jamie's Tarantulas when she was 2", 3 years ago.
As for Jamie's, I have bought 3 from her and was always very happy with the service and delivery.

Best of luck to you and please post pics when you find the one you want.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Welcome to the forum! :) Great beginner species for that size terrarium could be an adult of the following:

Pretty much any Aphonopelma species, Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens, Grammastola pulchra, Grammastola pulchripes, Lasiodora parahybana (although this species would definitely need a larger terrarium) and if you turn the cage into an arboreal one, Avicularia species are great for beginners, especially Avicularia avicularia. If you want to go with a Poecilotheria species as your first arboreal, I would highly recommend Poecilotheria metallica as they appear to be the most docile of the genus. Each one of these species have different care requirements so I always recommend you do your research. Hope this helps! Have a wonderful time spider hunting! :)

Last edited:

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hello and welcome to this great forum/family.
I second that @Casey K. is by far (but I still have to try a few people) the best seller/breeder/answer to all my questions on this forum.
P.S: it always starts with a 5 gallon tank and one tarantula.....then you have to start remodeling your home to squeeze in a few more enclosures :D

Pcancerides

3 Year Member
Hi! I'm new here and I REALLY want to get a tarantula. I have long had a fascination with these beautiful creatures. I currently have a 5 gallon terrarium that I am not using. What species of tarantula would you recommend for a beginner that can go in a 5 gallon? Also is Jamie's Tarantulas a good website to order from?
This is not my first time owning an exotic pet, I currently have an 11 year old leopard gecko, a 2 year old leopard gecko, a baby albino ball python, and a juvenile red eared slider that I've had for about 2 years. Thank you so much and I'm excited to become a part of this community!
Buy whatever species interests you the most.

I advise you to buy a well started tarantula, not a sling. Jamie's sells these. She has a bunch of well started males right now which are not expensive.
The Grammostola iheringi will likely live for several years and will eat well ($75). That would be my recommendation. The females she has now are expensive. If you go that route I would recommend the Brachypelma smithi/hamorii ($255). Both are 3" - 3 1/2" and do not buy any from her listed smaller than this.

Mundo exotico

Hello and welcome.
I recommend a Tiltocalt Albopilosum. Beautifull and easy:)
IMG_20201206_200803.jpg

ArachnoHorn

3 Year Member
Hope you have a great time here!

Latest posts