• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hello one & all, until about a week ago, the idea of owning a T was not something that had seriously occurred to me. Then talking to my wife I happened to mention that I had always thought they would make a really interesting pet. (Is that the correct word?) And she said me too.
Now I have spent some reading & looking around & I am ready to make that first step.
Would a Sling make a sensible first step for someone in my position?

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Welcome to the forum.

Yes it is in my opinion, starting with a sling is a rewarding experience. I started with a Brachypelma albopilosum (Honduran) sling back in 2014).

mrsoul1974

3 Year Member
Hello one & all, until about a week ago, the idea of owning a T was not something that had seriously occurred to me. Then talking to my wife I happened to mention that I had always thought they would make a really interesting pet. (Is that the correct word?) And she said me too.
Now I have spent some reading & looking around & I am ready to make that first step.
Hi and welcome! Sure, a sling would be great to start with! I have a GBB sling, myself.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hello and welcome :).
As @PanzoN88 says a Brachypelma albopilosum is a perfect sling to begin with. They're tough, good feeders and love to dig but most of the Brachypelmas make good beginner pets

nedaK

Welcome! If you are looking for a hardier sling I’d go for a curly hair as @PanzoN88 said or a rose hair. Both are very common and make for great pets.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Do you have any thoughts about which tarantula you would like to get?

Not really, there seems to be so many options available, that it is easier to decide what I don't want, due to suitable temperament, than what I do want.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Not really, there seems to be so many options available, that it is easier to decide what I don't want, due to suitable temperament, than what I do want.

You'll narrow it down in the end, if you immerse yourself in sites like this and watch loads of videos etc. Sooner or later, you'll have a favourite 4-5 or so that seems to tick all the boxes, and then your favourite (for your first!) will become clear. It might even be one that you haven't even heard about yet, who knows! Lol

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
You'll narrow it down in the end. It might even be one that you haven't even heard about yet, who knows! Lol

I hope to being going to look at some on Sunday morning, Someone is reducing their collection & has some for sale local to me. I am seriously also thinking about possibly buying a sling & I have a few ideas for that, but as you say I do need to immerse myself here to make the right choice.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
That hope of getting a T this morning has now gone. I had responded to the advert of someone allegedly down sizing on pre-loved & the communication was slow, but seemed OK. However they seemed very reluctant to tell me where I was going to see/collect one of these T's they were advertising. I am not sure what kind of person or possible Scam this was.. But one thing is certain, they are using pre-loved as it has no feedback potential.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm sorry things haven't worked out this time but don't give up. I suggest you message @Phil or @KezyGLA who would both help you decide the right starting T for you.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I now have a T to go & see this weekend. It is a mature male...:D:D:D I hope this weekend goes better than last.