• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello

Tinytort

Hi everyone. I joined this forum to get lots of information on tarantulas. I do not own any as I have trouble with arachnids in general. I can fight snakes, dragons, Samolian pirates with one leg, but I can't do spiders.

So, I came here for help with everything tarantulas.

I find some of them pretty, but that's a far as I can get right now. All info would be of a great help.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
You'd be surprised just how many T keepers have been arachnophobes, including myself. My 2 sons tried to persuade me to let them have a T but I always said no. Eventually 5 years ago my elder son, by then in his 30s talked me into letting him have one in the house so I gave in on condition he looked after it. He bought a P. vittata and I became fascinated by her behaviour. 6 months later I decided to get a juvenile OBT to see if I could overcome my fear. It worked, I now have 100, no longer flinching if 1 chooses to walk or run onto my hand.
My advice to you would be to take the plunge, buy yourself a young juvenile and I'm sure you'll be hooked in no time. No need to handle it, use tongs for maintenance and sit back and enjoy.

Tinytort

You'd be surprised just how many T keepers have been arachnophobes, including myself. My 2 sons tried to persuade me to let them have a T but I always said no. Eventually 5 years ago my elder son, by then in his 30s talked me into letting him have one in the house so I gave in on condition he looked after it. He bought a P. vittata and I became fascinated by her behaviour. 6 months later I decided to get a juvenile OBT to see if I could overcome my fear. It worked, I now have 100, no longer flinching if 1 chooses to walk or run onto my hand.
My advice to you would be to take the plunge, buy yourself a young juvenile and I'm sure you'll be hooked in no time. No need to handle it, use tongs for maintenance and sit back and enjoy.
I don't think I'm ready for that yet. What are the basic care needs for them? I assume with there being a large amount of different species they would require different needs and where they are based geologically?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I don't think I'm ready for that yet. What are the basic care needs for them? I assume with there being a large amount of different species they would require different needs and where they are based geologically?

They don't need much to keep them happy, a container that has substrate (coco fibre is ideal) a hide (a piece of cork bark will do), and a water bowl (Ts don't drown). Apart from that a weekly feed of a cricket, roach or mealworm.
Humidity will be fine with a water bowl and temperature is whatever you are comfortable sitting in (normal room temp)

Tinytort

They don't need much to keep them happy, a container that has substrate (coco fibre is ideal) a hide (a piece of cork bark will do), and a water bowl (Ts don't drown). Apart from that a weekly feed of a cricket, roach or mealworm.
Humidity will be fine with a water bowl and temperature is whatever you are comfortable sitting in (normal room temp)
Do they need a certain size enclosure?
What about cage maintenance?
Do they need supplements or anything?
I know they moult, but how often and what do you have to do before and after?
How do you know when they are in pre moult?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Cage size - A minimum of 2x their dls (diagonal leg span) But not too big that they can't find their food.
Cage maintenance - Removal of any uneaten food after 24 hours and removal of any Bolus (waste after eating). A set of tongs are good for this.
Supplements - Not necessary
Moulting - This varies according to species, temperature and feeding. It can vary from every few weeks for a tiny sling to every few years for an adult.
Premoult - Most Ts will darken, dull, some will stop eating, many will shed the hairs on their abdomen and the bald patch will darken just before the moult.

Tinytort

Cage size - A minimum of 2x their dls (diagonal leg span) But not too big that they can't find their food.
Cage maintenance - Removal of any uneaten food after 24 hours and removal of any Bolus (waste after eating). A set of tongs are good for this.
Supplements - Not necessary
Moulting - This varies according to species, temperature and feeding. It can vary from every few weeks for a tiny sling to every few years for an adult.
Premoult - Most Ts will darken, dull, some will stop eating, many will shed the hairs on their abdomen and the bald patch will darken just before the moult.
They seem very easy to care for. What about venom? I seen a post where a member was bitten and he documented it all. Do each species vary on amount and potency?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The Old World Ts have quite potent venom but don't have urticating hairs but the New World Ts have the urticating hairs which can cause irritation. This is why most recommend New World Ts as beginner Ts rather than the Old World species.There are no known cases of death from T bites.
As long as you research the species you choose carefully and understand their capabilities you'll be fine. Always move slowly around them so you don't startle them and there is no reason you should get bitten.
The 2 cases recently reported here were exceptional circumstances. The 1st @Shampain was teasing his OBT to see if it would bite and it did, the 2nd @Whitelightning777 was an accident, he was doing maintenance and there was a bang from the flat above that startled the T into flight, it fell off the shelf and instinctively he caught it, probably saving its life but got bitten for his trouble.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm fine. As they say in Monty Python, only a flesh wound!!

A catch cup is strongly recommended. Also, no thumps, earthquakes or loud noises!!

As far as behavior goes, my T stirmi acts much more like a typical OW even though she's not. They are an advanced species.

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Welcome! I have all Old Worlds but I don't worry about venom because I don't plan on getting bitten!
I do however worry about them getting out as bites are known to be fatal to dogs, and most likely cats but that hasn't been proven.

Latest posts