• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello

Matthew

3 Year Member
Hi everyone. My name is Matt. I can't say I am new to the hobby because I don't keep any spiders currently. I can say I am very intrigued and thinking about getting my first tarantula. I have started doing a lot of reading and research about them and I think I have put together a wish list of characteristics I'd like in my first T. Was hoping to get opinions on what which species to get that best fits into this profile...

1. I'm pretty sure I want a New World species
2. relatively slow moving (nevrvous about having a potential bolter that is super fast)
3. generally docile (though I don't intend to handle)
4. a good eater (not likely to fast much)
5. reasonably active. not one to sit in one spot for weeks on end
6. moderately/reasonably fast grower
7. likes to web up its space
8. reasonably hardy for a beginner keeper

Any adivce on which tarantula would be the closest fit to what I described here? Thanks and I look forward to learning a lot here.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi Matt, welcome :)
Brachypelma are all good and will pretty much fit all your requirements, another good one is Lasiodora parahybana which is a very fast grower and can reach 10".

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Welcome to the forum!
It's good that you did as I did and joined forums and researched (and researched and researched....). -
EDIT - I meant to say here "before buying a tarantula "
- I found it invaluable. I bought slings (spiderlings) because I wasnt confident, but I found that it wasn't as scary as I imagined, but I have kept many animals all my life, and I take every precaution that is feasible which is the key to confidence (as opposed to overconfidence ).
You're gonna love it!

Last edited:

ALD

3 Year Member
I would say a Brachypelma would fit the bill. If you aren't afraid of a more skittish T and you like crazy webbing go with a GBB. That is what I chose as my first. If skittishness (is that a word???!) Is not your thing go with a Brachypelma. Welcome to the hobby and you will have a mental list going of all the ones you want soon. It's highly addictive. I would watch YouTube videos on species. Tom's Big Spiders. I cannot recommend him enough.

wolf0551984

3 Year Member
hi matt I'm new to the forum as well but not to keeping spiders spiders can make great pets you just need to do a little research first to find out what type would be a good spider for you I would suggest a Chilean Rose Hair Tarantula or Brachypelma vagans Mexican Red Rump Tarantula these where my first spiders species there really nice spiders for first timers and welcome

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Welcome to the forum, I would recommend starting with a Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens Gbb sling. They are everything your inquiring about. Any Bracypelma species would do as well but all are slow growing. Aphonopelma Chalcodes is another great species that fits your bill. Avicularia species are great as well if your interested in a arboreal species...they meet all your wants as well.

Latest posts