• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello!

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Great first T!! Welcome to TF. (You picked the best forum for the novice—the other large forum can be kinda snarky)
Ennie, above, is a great resource—and you’ll never find one more responsive.
Let us please see a pic once you get your baby.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
There's a lot of good choices for a first one. With Rosies, I've heard reports of wildly differing temperments and appetites that can even change from one molt to another.

I'd treat a Rosie as a look but don't touch pet until it proves to be docile.

Curly hairs are almost universally praised as being good eaters and calm spiders.

The dwarf T, Euth. species red is also another universally praised one.

I don't endorse handling and didn't start out with the most calm critters!!

Again, that's just one opinion, but hers and some others turned me off to them a bit.

Having said that, the red form is drop dead gorgeous!! Some are almost pink or a bit violet maybe.

They are also tough hardy spiders.

If you will consider a look but don't touch tarantula, look at the Lasiodoras genus or A. geniculata (white knee). The white knee is a real show stopper.

This is my Lasiodora Klugi. Other Lasiodora species are more affordable.

In my personal opinion, I wouldn't pay more then $100 for a first T, not including shipping which is nothing to go cheap on.

Last edited:

LGTARANTULAS

3 Year Member
I think they mostly are naturally calm. It's just that some people are silly enough to scoop them up with no worry just because they are labelled "docile". Best thing to do is always touch their back leg with something gentle as a brush to test that temperament before sticking your hands in to handle them. Though it's best to leave them alone.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Everything has already been stated so I will just say welcome and touch up on the G. porteri topic a little by saying, they are very unpredictable, my little sling gave me a scare when I rehoused it into its current enclosure. It was docile yet a little bit skittish as most slings-Juvies of any species or genus tend to be, my little sling was almost out of its previous enclosure and just opted to turn around and attack the paintbrush (or whatever soft tool I was using for prodding almost two years ago). It is proof they can go from 0-100 without warning.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
This is another great beginner species. Full disclosure: I don't own it but there are so many positive reviews that anyone can have a high degree of confidence in what they say.

Latest posts