• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello!

Rose Beatrice

3 Year Member
Hey everyone! My name is Rose and I've just recently become interested in owning a T. I originally became interested due to the fact that I went hiking in Costa Rica in the Cloud Forest and our tour guide spotted a beautiful T nestled all comfortably in a fallen and hollowed out tree. I wish I knew what I know now, because I might could have identified her! So, that's how this girl became interested in owning a T!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi Rose, welcome to the forum :). Have you any thoughts on which T you're going to start with?

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi Rose, Welcome aboard! You have come to the right place. Friendliest T forum out there. Don't hesitate to ask any and all questions as there is a wealth of knowledge out here. Enjoy.

Rose Beatrice

3 Year Member
My first T is either going to be a Brachypelma albopilosum or a Grammostola rosea. I'm leaning more towards the curly hair because I've heard very good things about their temperament. :)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
G. rosea can be moody and refuse food but B. albopilosum are adorable and great feeders, they are also mini bulldozers as slings.

Rose Beatrice

3 Year Member
G. rosea can be moody and refuse food but B. albopilosum are adorable and great feeders, they are also mini bulldozers as slings.

Do you think I should get a sling or a juvie instead of a mature adult? I had always heard that it's best for beginners to get a mature adult but I wasn't ever really sure.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Unless you buy a sexed female there is always the chance of being palmed off with a male that won't live so long after maturing. If you by from a reputable dealer you could get a juvenile but the same applies regarding sex.
If you go for the B. albopilosum I'd suggest getting a sling so you can watch it's antics below ground digging constantly in its tunnels and enjoy watching it grow then as it gets bigger it'll sit in the open most of the time.

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Welcome Rose. You have chosen your forum well, I have no doubt you'll choose the right T. Congratulations. But be careful: one T leads to 5 which leads to 10 then 20....well, you get the idea. Enn49 is the master of all things tarantula. And, she is so sweet: a great source of information. Moreover, she is always around.
Humbly, I'd recommend a 2-3 inch specimen. It can take forever for a sling to mature. And....slings produce angst--they seem so fragile at that size. As per Ennie, I don't recommend maturity, unless you are sure it is a female. 2-3 inch DLS (diagonal leg span) is nice because you will have your T for awhile, and, let's face it, the cool part of owning a tarantula in many cases is showing off an awesome sized spider to your shocked friends.;):cool:

Rose Beatrice

3 Year Member
Thanks so much guys! After reading a lot and watching tons of videos about the B. albopilosum... I'm in love. This is definitely the first T I want. I love, love, love them and I'm definitely going to look into purchasing a juvie. Any favorite sites that ship well taken care of T's? None of the pet stores around me are exactly trust worthy...

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi Rose, welcome to the forum. Brilliant people here. with a name like yours it has to be Grammostola rosea surely?. Mind you you look to have curly hair so maybe a Brachypelma albopilosum (get the "true" form though if you can as they arw muxh hairier) .... It's just as easy to look after 2 as it is 1, so get both...ha ha

yeahhtrue

3 Year Member
Thanks so much guys! After reading a lot and watching tons of videos about the B. albopilosum... I'm in love. This is definitely the first T I want. I love, love, love them and I'm definitely going to look into purchasing a juvie. Any favorite sites that ship well taken care of T's? None of the pet stores around me are exactly trust worthy...

Hi Rose! I was going to give you my experience with my Grammostola rosea sling, but I see you've decided on the B. albopilosum...

If you still need somewhere to get one, I personally recommend Jamie's Tarantulas to a new keeper like myself, due to the fact that she has slightly lower shipping options than other dealers that I've seen, which helps when you're only ordering a single sling at a time. She also has enclosures if you want to get everything in one place. She currently has B. albopilosum slings and also a confirmed female juvie if you want to jump on that :)

http://jamiestarantulas.com