• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello to all

cubbi1568

I am new to the hobby, I have four tarantulas, how I hope I’m doing a good job. My A. Seemani molted last week, still hiding out underneath its half tree. Beautiful colors. I have six cats, all of varying ages from adults to seniors. I hope to learn more about the care of tarantulas

Attachments

• 680C332C-63BC-4CA4-8487-65BE111A266D.jpeg
    680C332C-63BC-4CA4-8487-65BE111A266D.jpeg
    378.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 1388C55B-0249-463D-8E71-D202B309288A.jpeg
    1388C55B-0249-463D-8E71-D202B309288A.jpeg
    535.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 2D805CC6-A198-4938-A0AB-FDC8E18F2D80.jpeg
    2D805CC6-A198-4938-A0AB-FDC8E18F2D80.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 14
  • 2D805CC6-A198-4938-A0AB-FDC8E18F2D80.jpeg
    2D805CC6-A198-4938-A0AB-FDC8E18F2D80.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 15
  • 85510EB8-2F78-448D-958B-7CAA73E4662A.png
    85510EB8-2F78-448D-958B-7CAA73E4662A.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 14

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hello & welcome.

If that wood is what I think it is, then personally I would change it for cork bark. Soft woods like pine etc are potentially dangerous & not just to Tarantulas, you will find lots of information about it on Rabbit forums etc too.

Pine is used as a disinfectant for good reasons, one being it contains a natural insecticide. Phenol.

And Cedar is as bad too. Yet pet shops still sell those woods, both as hides & within wood shavings, despite these soft woods being known to be fatal, as the hydrocarbons given off by these aromatic woods are known to be breathed in & spread throughout the whole system.

https://worldwidejanitor.com/library/the-benefits-of-pine-oil/

cubbi1568

Hello & welcome.

If that wood is what I think it is, then personally I would change it for cork bark. Soft woods like pine etc are potentially dangerous & not just to Tarantulas, you will find lots of information about it on Rabbit forums etc too.

Pine is used as a disinfectant for good reasons, one being it contains a natural insecticide. Phenol.

And Cedar is as bad too. Yet pet shops still sell those woods, both as hides & within wood shavings, despite these soft woods being known to be fatal, as the hydrocarbons given off by these aromatic woods are known to be breathed in & spread throughout the whole system.

https://worldwidejanitor.com/library/the-benefits-of-pine-oil/
Im surprised about this! They sent it out when I purchased my A. Seemani and curly hair who sadly didn’t make it

cubbi1568

Don't give up though. Slings are hard to keep alive I've heard
Thanks for letting me know. I’m thinking i may order more established tarantulas next time. Tiny still refuses to eat, but I sent for hornworms. Last time he had one he began dancing a little. I’m going to look into something different for my nhandu chromatus sling

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Welcome!
Cats and tarantulas don't mix well. Cats and cucumbers, on the other hand... Google it

I agree about cats and Ts not mixing. I have my Ts in an exclosure with sliding doors and rarely let the cat inside that room. I don't think she knows they are there, thankfully

Thanks for reminding me @octanejunkie. If it is what I think you are talking about, it did not faze my cat. I even tried different sizes. I may have to try it again.

Also I wonder if when the cat is in her covered litterbox whether tapping loudly on the outside will prompt her to shoot out of there. Could this be considered a scientific experiment? Inquiring minds want to know.

cubbi1568

The enclosure i have for my A. Seemani is top open, currently nestled in his dinosaur head. The smaller one is also in a top open vial but since it burrows, no one sees it. Cats have an outdoor pwn so they spend there time outside. The box is hornworms i will offer later this evening. Mostly my mom or I can tell when they are active

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,002 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 6

LinInuRen

Thanks for letting me know. I’m thinking i may order more established tarantulas next time. Tiny still refuses to eat, but I sent for hornworms. Last time he had one he began dancing a little. I’m going to look into something different for my nhandu chromatus sling
Of my collection my h. mac. was SUPPOSED to grow the fastest based on the research I have been able to find on it. It is currently my slowest grower. 1 molt since I got it in march. the others have all more than doubled in the same amount of time. How big are your little ones? My H. mac will only eat small crickets, but I have seen flightless fruit flies at the store.

Tarantulafeets

Of my collection my h. mac. was SUPPOSED to grow the fastest based on the research I have been able to find on it. It is currently my slowest grower. 1 molt since I got it in march. the others have all more than doubled in the same amount of time. How big are your little ones? My H. mac will only eat small crickets, but I have seen flightless fruit flies at the store.
H macs generally are very slow growers....

cubbi1568

I sent for nutrigrubs for tye little one. Tiny is still not eating, just staying inside his dino skull. I do offer him food, no takers on the dubia roaches

Latest posts