• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello! New to the hobby

BigJohn97

3 Year Member
Hello everyone, my name is John. I'm still very new to caring for tarantulas. I got my first one (unsexed Brachypelma albopilosum) about a month and a half ago and have been watching its activity closely. While I'm here, I would like to ask about balding/molting. The brachypelma albopilosum I have has had a large bald spot on its abdomen since shortly after I took it home. It hasn't been flicking hairs. Along with the bald spot, it has refused meals and burrows (burrowing only started in the past couple of weeks). I want to say it's in premolt but I've read that balding and refusing meals can also mean it's sick. How can I tell if it's just in premolt as opposed to being sick, I guess is my question. Anyway, yeah, I'm John, I hope I can learn more about my species as well as others and make friends here. Sorry for adding such a long question to my introduction! Peace.