• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello, new to the forum and hobby

DreadedNeith

Just thought i would introduce myself and share a little bit about me.
My name is justin and i live in upstate ny. I recently got into the hobby after a long time of being very fearful of spiders. I always thought tarantulas were interesting but i was always to scared to have one as a pet. After seeing a lot of videos of jumping spiders and tarantulas i caught a bold jumping spider with my bare hands (first time i ever willingly touched a spider) and fed her for a couple weeks. I guess she was happy with how i was taking care of her because she laid an eggsack. After she laid the eggsack i kept feeding her (although she didnt eat much) and when her babies hatched i fed them and released them all back into the wild.
This inspired me to research begginer tarantulas and so i did and decided on an Avicularia Metallica. I am absolutely in love with him/her.
Getting my new T brought me to these forums. Im hoping to learn a lot more and meet some new people.
received_1976169555750624.jpeg

DreadedNeith

Thanks Panzo! Im already thinking about the next ones i want to get. I want a Chilean red flame, Aphonopelma johnnycashi, avicularai versi,Brachypelma hamorii.. and many more. Ill probably stick to new worlds for now even though i really want an obt. I think an obt is a littleabove my experience right now.

Last edited:

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks Panzo! Im already thinking about the next ones i want to get. I want a Chilean red flame, Aphonopelma johnnycashi, avicularai versi,Brachypelma hamorii.. and many more. Ill probably stick to old worlds for now even though i really want an obt. I think an obt is a littleabove my experience right now.

I think you mean you'll stick to New Worlds, OBTs are Old World. My 1st ever T was an OBT and she never caused me any problems, they are more likely to run and hide than attack.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You are right. I meant new worlds. Havent been to sleep yet. Insomnia sucks. Ive heard of people having OBTs that arent very aggressive but arent most of them aggressive?
Defensive is a better term.

Thanks Panzo! Im already thinking about the next ones i want to get. I want a Chilean red flame, Aphonopelma johnnycashi, avicularai versi,Brachypelma hamorii.. and many more. Ill probably stick to new worlds for now even though i really want an obt. I think an obt is a littleabove my experience right now.
I've had experience with all four. (I'm one of the lucky ones raising an A. johnnycashi right now. H. Sp. red/fire (E. Sp. red) are great for beginners (my favorite species, trying to breed them currently), B. hamorri are fascinating.

DreadedNeith

Yean the johnnycashi was just discovered in 2015 right? Ive always been fascinated with tarantulas but until recently i was to affraid of them to keep them. Now that i have my first on (an avic metallica) i am hooked. Been watching a bunch of videos and reading posts about them. I cant wait to get more now.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yean the johnnycashi was just discovered in 2015 right? Ive always been fascinated with tarantulas but until recently i was to affraid of them to keep them. Now that i have my first on (an avic metallica) i am hooked. Been watching a bunch of videos and reading posts about them. I cant wait to get more now.
I know the feeling, I used to have the fear as well (little did I know I would be keeping 30+ tarantulas only a few years after starting. Look through the reviews and classifieds, you will be amazed at what deals you may find.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
....and so the addiction begins my friend. I have nearly 200

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Oh yeah! I can already tell that this is going to test my marriage. Haha.
Like I said to my wife....If someone says you have too many tarantulas, don't talk to them you don't need that negativity in your life....we are no longer together. pmsl.

DreadedNeith

Haha. She wasnt happy about me getting my first but now she thinks its cute. I figure, when it comes to tarantulas , its better to ask for forgiveness than permission. The more i look at the Brazilian Black, the mkre i want one. They are such handsome spiders.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
Hello and welcome. My wife tolerates the spiders very well because if she didn't, she knows I'd replace them all with snakes. :)

Yep. Little spiders in little plastic boxes are just fine with her.

DreadedNeith

Thanks Tom. Thats a great idea except we already have a sand boa and she likes snakes. i could tell her that instead of tarantulas i could get highly venomous spiders like the black widow, six eyed sand, Sydney funnel, brown recluse, and maybe a couple Brazilian wandering spiders. Im sure she would much rather have the weaker venomous Ts.

Latest posts