• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello! New here.

TarantulaMoM05

Hello!
My son received a (Mexican Red Knee) from his grandfather for Christmas.‍♀️ Needless to say, I’m trying to keep it alive. I just found this form and hoping to find help. The Tarantula looks to be very young. And we believe it molted while it was being delivered. I’m learning a lot but see that people have their different opinions about the care of them. I ordered a book (Tarantulas Keeper). And we are in contact with the breeder. We were told that the substrate needed to be change as soon as possible. There is a sand substrate in the enclosure now. Anyways, We have got a lot to learn. SO HELLO

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
Hello and welcome! That is a great species to start with and it will be with you guys for a long time.

Many people have different preferences about what substrate to use, but most will agree that sand is not the way to go. I prefer plain coco coir. You can order it on-line or find it for sale in compressed "bricks" at any pet store. Its called "Eco-Earth" in the pet shops.

Be sure to provide a water bowl. I like to use bottle caps from plastic water bottles for smaller tarantulas, and replace them frequently. No need for a rock, sponge or anything else in the water bowl. Tarantulas don't drown in their small water bowls.

Questions and conversation are welcome. Pictures are welcome too!

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
A sandy dry substrate will work for redknees...that's what they live on in the wild. You can change to coco fiber but make sure its dry. They don't like moisture. I use a sand mix with coco fiber for one of my redknees...its mostly for appearance but she doesn't mind it at all. Shes always sitting out on it everyday...:) Back in the 80s...before the internet and all the hobby gods many people used sand or fish gravel to keep their tarantulas. Never had a problem with either one. Thing is everyone has their opinion and they all are right just do what you want as long as its dry and not bark dust or wood chips.;)

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Welcome!
A hint about coco/coir peat, it is often found in garden centres, hardware stores, "dollar stores" and even some supermarkets at about a third of the price pet shops charge. Some brands can be coarser milled than others but most are identical to "eco earth", worth looking into.

lasiodora-parahybana1980

3 Year Member
Hello!
My son received a (Mexican Red Knee) from his grandfather for Christmas.‍♀️ Needless to say, I’m trying to keep it alive. I just found this form and hoping to find help. The Tarantula looks to be very young. And we believe it molted while it was being delivered. I’m learning a lot but see that people have their different opinions about the care of them. I ordered a book (Tarantulas Keeper). And we are in contact with the breeder. We were told that the substrate needed to be change as soon as possible. There is a sand substrate in the enclosure now. Anyways, We have got a lot to learn. SO HELLO

Greetings, I am new here as well. Currently, I am keeping just TWO, but definitely want to get some more T's. :)

Latest posts