• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello, I just got my first T and I'm actually a little freaked out.

NataliaTG

3 Year Member
Hello there!
Ok. First of all, it was NOT an impluse buy. I had been thinking about getting a T for over a year now, and it finally happened!
Brachypelma Smithi, about 4-5 cm, (around 2 inches).

Tiny, I know.

I was so excited when I was unboxing it! But BOY is the little thing FAST. I wasn't expecting it to be that fast. It caught me way off guard. It ended up in my legs, running in my jeans (thankfully not on the floor) and then back inside the envelope where it came in.

Maybe it was too fast because it was also freaking out??

Honestly it took me around 5 minutes to get in its enclosure, but now he/she's chillin in the ceiling right above the water dish, which is a gatorade cap, which now I think it's too big and I'm afraid it might fall and drown. The enclosure is not fully clear, so I can only see its shadow. Now I also want to change that.

I'm afraid to open the enclosure because I feel like it will run away.

I'm not afraid of the tarantula, I'm afraid of hurting it.

Help.

NataliaTG

3 Year Member
Here it is...

Attachments

• IMG_20171024_182010597.jpg
    IMG_20171024_182010597.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 40

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Congratulations on your 1st T :).
Most Ts can surprise you by their speed but B. hamorii (smithi) are usually quite calm so I guess it was stressed from it journey to you. Leave it for a few days to settle and it will calm down.
Don't worry about the water bowl being too big, Ts won't drown.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Congrats. And if you don't want to hurt it then calm down. :) If you are freaking out then you r going to end up doing something fast without thinking. Let it settle in, as you get used to it. watch as many videos on rehousing on youtube as you can. u WILL get used to they way they act I promise. I used to jump all the time with docile species like the B. smithi. now I laugh as by OBT throws a threat pose. Baby steps! Great choice btw, and we are here if you need us! WELCOME!

NataliaTG

3 Year Member
I feel more calm now lol thanks a lot :)
Just one question... When should I try to feed it? I've been thinking about that even before I bought him/her... I was thinking maybe on the weekend?

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I feel more calm now lol thanks a lot :)
Just one question... When should I try to feed it? I've been thinking about that even before I bought him/her... I was thinking maybe on the weekend?
I would give it oh let's say 3-5 days, that will give it time to settle in:

jackys

3 Year Member
Welcome and congrats on your first T! I was also surprised by how fast my B. hamorii could move when I first got her, around the same size as yours. She is still pretty skittish, but at least she's more predictable now and will mostly just run to her hide when scared. Like everyone else has said, she'll settle in and you'll get used to how she acts :)

One thing that gives me a little peace of mind is always having a catch cup within reach during feeding and such, so I'm prepared in the unlikely event of an escape. For unboxing, I try to place the shipping container inside the enclosure before opening it. This could work for rehousing too, depending on the enclosure sizes.

NataliaTG

3 Year Member
Welcome and congrats on your first T! I was also surprised by how fast my B. hamorii could move when I first got her, around the same size as yours. She is still pretty skittish, but at least she's more predictable now and will mostly just run to her hide when scared. Like everyone else has said, she'll settle in and you'll get used to how she acts :)

One thing that gives me a little peace of mind is always having a catch cup within reach during feeding and such, so I'm prepared in the unlikely event of an escape. For unboxing, I try to place the shipping container inside the enclosure before opening it. This could work for rehousing too, depending on the enclosure sizes.
Oh yes I will definitely have a catch cup with me at all times lol thanks :)

Cody-Myles

3 Year Member
As mentioned just give a few days settling time, a fed all of mine on the first day and they all ate but I bought mine from a shop so I had them in hand, no postage jostling to stress them.
If you take the lid off I can probably guarantee she will bolt down the the bottom as soon as you spook her so you should be good but always take due care when opening enclosures. My vitatta likes to hide under the lid and is one of the fastest Ts so I have to be diligent but with a brachy you should be good [emoji1303].
We're a friendly bunch so we don't judge here. Learning curve for everybody. My first T scare the ****e out of me when she bolted across my computer table during her first rehousing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Keep in mind that the slower you move, the slower the T will generally move.

When in doubt, plug the drain in your bathtub and rehouse or house clean the enclosure with the T there. Using totes within the bathtub with the enclosure inside provides even more security.

Cody-Myles

3 Year Member
Keep in mind that the slower you move, the slower the T will generally move.

When in doubt, plug the drain in your bathtub and rehouse or house clean the enclosure with the T there. Using totes within the bathtub with the enclosure inside provides even more security.
Very good point, Ts can't climb bathtubs, my inexperience led me to be unprepared when I moved my first one [emoji17]

Cody-Myles

3 Year Member
Lol god help me when mine needs rehousing. She has a few moults before that needs to be done though [emoji1303].
She's definitely going in the tub for it though!.

Latest posts