• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello from the UK

KIA_PETE

Hello from the UK.
I got two T's to start with A Davus pentaloris and a GGB,
The Davus, since i got it just hides and seems afraid of every thing including food and refuses too feed 7days after receiving it.
The GBB on the other hand is having a ball running around its terrarium, webbing up slowly and FEEDS very aggressively, i have fed it a medium cricket (quite small tbh) on Tuesday and Saturday, then again this Tuesday thinking it would be a bit more hesitant after being fed twice and boom ripped the cricket out of my forceps before i could react.
I have a feeling it will feed just as aggressively if i was to feed it again today.
So my question is should i feed it again or should i just stick to feeding it twice a week with a quite small crickets, think i will move to roaches as they are a more substantial snack and should i be concerned about the Davus?

Attachments

• IMG_4087.jpg
    IMG_4087.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4095.jpg
    IMG_4095.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi, welcome to the hobby. You've picked 2 lovely Ts to begin with.
I wouldn't feed the GBB any more frequently and the pentaloris may just be taking a bit longer to settle but you could try squashing the crickets head before dropping it in.

Tarantula1994

They both look great and I would do a med dubia a week for them or a small depending on how the sizing works where to get feeders.

KIA_PETE

I will try smushing a cricket and see if its gone in the morning, they are about 6.5-7cm the medium crickets i got look a little too small for them to me. so medium Dubia will probably be ideal.
when i got these i thought two was enough but i think i can see two more coming when i have more experience with them XD.
They are memorising to watch even when they are doing nothing.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I will try smushing a cricket and see if its gone in the morning, they are about 6.5-7cm the medium crickets i got look a little too small for them to me. so medium Dubia will probably be ideal.
when i got these i thought two was enough but i think i can see two more coming when i have more experience with them XD.

They are definitely fascinating, I love the different homes they build for themselves, they seem to know exactly what they want.

Tarantula1994

Yeah they will do fine on one meal a week. Dubia are a much better feeder they have bigger stomach then crickets so can hold more of the good stuff for the spiders. And there will always be more on your wish list.

KIA_PETE

Yeah was interested by that, i have a cork bark tube filled with leaf litter, coco fiber and sphagnum moss i thought perfect! the Davus on the other hand didnt.. and over night took all of it and made a house behind a branch thing i have in the corner or my terrarium.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Yeah was interested by that, i have a cork bark tube filled with leaf litter, coco fiber and sphagnum moss i thought perfect! the Davus on the other hand didnt.. and over night took all of it and made a house behind a branch thing i have in the corner or my terrarium.

I set all my Ts up with just a piece of cork bark, piece of plastic plant and a water bowl and leave them to do the rest. It's amazing the different ways they work with the basics.
Both of my pentaloris now spend most of their time in full view although they both burrowed as youngsters.

Baahahaha! That is a very typical response! I started with 2. Now I have 5, and I just keep adding! Hope the roaches work better, sometimes the smaller the better for the young T’s. I have an avicularia and she is very particular about her meals. It seems they don’t have enough confidence yet to tackle prey their size. Beautiful specimens.

KIA_PETE

Baahahaha! That is a very typical response! I started with 2. Now I have 5, and I just keep adding! Hope the roaches work better, sometimes the smaller the better for the young T’s. I have an avicularia and she is very particular about her meals. It seems they don’t have enough confidence yet to tackle prey their size. Beautiful specimens.
With my GBB i think it would tackle something 5 times its size it is a bit mental like that.
i have crickets and roaches on the way, so i will see what happens if they have a preference.
I hear a lot about gut loading.
Any tips is there a good mix that people recommend to help T's grow and be healthy?
Or can i just chuck some sweet potatoes or something in with the roaches?

Gut loading is super easy! Throw in carrots potatoes and cat or dog food. Veggies are great, makes sure the roaches, crickets and other feeders remain healthy, fat, and full of nutrients!