1. Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello from south staffs

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Cody-Myles, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Cody-Myles

Cody-Myles New Member

Bought my first T around 8 weeks ago so I thought i'd sign up top a forum to share and hear of experiences.
    I have a Grammostola Pulchripes sling, for the first week it ate every 3 days, after that for the last 6/7 weeks it has refused feeding. Moulted around 2 weeks ago but is still refusing food, trust me to get an awkward one :rolleyes:
    I also have a giant house spider (obviously not a T I know).
  2. Metalman2004

Metalman2004 Active Member

Welcome. Refusal of food is not awkward at all. It worries new keepers a lot but rest assured it is usually normal. In my opinion one of the best things about tarantulas is their unpredictability!

Welcome!
    WolfSpider likes this.
  3. WolfSpider

WolfSpider Well-Known Member

Concur with Metalman2004. Ts nearly always refuse food prior to a molt and for about 1 week after a molt. Slings molt quite frequently, so there are lots of times that they don't eat. In fact, many keepers think that if you gorge your sling--say a cricket leg, 5 flightless fruit flies, and a mealworm with a crushed head for a 1.5cm sling, you simply bring pre-molt behavior on quicker and it lasts longer.

Be rest assured, a bit of food goes a long way for a sling. Wait until your baby is grown up--It might decide to eat the dog (LOL :p)

Welcome to the best forum on the internet. You chose a great T and a great forum. Keep up the good work!!!!
  4. Cody-Myles

Cody-Myles New Member

Thank you guys for the replies. I did tonnes of research into T's before buying my first one and I chose G.Pulchripes because of it's known docile temperament, active personality and gorgeous markings and colours. I knew beforehand that Grammostola and Brachypelma genus were amongst the best first time T's but also have a habit of going on random fasting sessions or hiding away for long periods. I was prepared for any shortcomings so I'm not too worried about (her) atm ;)
    I could have bought a costa rican zebra but they have a habit of hiding away most of the time.
    WolfSpider likes this.
  5. Enn49

Enn49 Moderator Staff Member 1,000+ Post Club

Hi, welcome to the hobby and the forum :)
Draft saved Draft deleted