• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello from Shelob and I!

Arlo

Hello, everyone!

I'm a new T owner and I was just recommended to introduce myself here by another member of this community.

Today I went to a reptile expo to gather some information on Blue Tongue Skinks and came home with a beautiful little girl that my husband and I named Shelob, from the Lord of The Rings. She is a Tlitocatl Albopilosus and, since she was a bit of an impulse buy, I'm doing my best to research as much as I can about her species to give her the best possible life.

Some of you have already been incredibly helpful and I hope I will keep receiving advice to improve my setup and husbandry

Never in a million years did I think one day I'd be the owner of a tarantula, but here we are...and I'm in love!

Attachments

• 20210919_173824.jpg
    20210919_173824.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 7

Jeef

Greetings and welcome aboard!

I got my T. albipolosum as a freebie with my first spider. It wasn't a species that was even on my radar. A year later and I am beyond thankful for it. Hope you end up just as thrilled. They are cool spiders!

Arlo

Greetings and welcome aboard!

I got my T. albipolosum as a freebie with my first spider. It wasn't a species that was even on my radar. A year later and I am beyond thankful for it. Hope you end up just as thrilled. They are cool spiders!
They are! I am already in love with her. She has been spending the past day and night digging up tunnels and it's amazing to see her pick up soil with her little "paws", pat it down on a little mountain she has created, and do it all over again. I'm doing my best not to handle her as much as I can, but when I took her out of her container to transfer her to the new tank, she was very docile and didn't seem skittish at all.

x_raphael_xx

They are! I am already in love with her. She has been spending the past day and night digging up tunnels and it's amazing to see her pick up soil with her little "paws", pat it down on a little mountain she has created, and do it all over again. I'm doing my best not to handle her as much as I can, but when I took her out of her container to transfer her to the new tank, she was very docile and didn't seem skittish at all.
Handling is a debated topic.
Tarantulas never 'get used' to being handled. Some are more docile than others and safer to handle, although the T gets nothing from it and it can cause stress.
Always handle them close to the ground or other soft surface, as if they fall they can get injured and die. Their butt is basically like a big water balloon and can burst.

Arlo

Handling is a debated topic.
Tarantulas never 'get used' to being handled. Some are more docile than others and safer to handle, although the T gets nothing from it and it can cause stress.
Always handle them close to the ground or other soft surface, as if they fall they can get injured and die. Their butt is basically like a big water balloon and can burst.
The butt is like a big water balloon. Got it lmao. Thank you so much for the advice. I would never wanna do anything to stress her out or put her in danger.