• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello from Massachusetts!

Burrito

Hello hello!

I've newly adopted a pink toe from a coworker who unfortunately could no longer take care of her. I'm mostly here with a lot of questions (I did a bunch of internet research and this forum seemed like the definitive place to lurk and find information).

I'm happy and grateful that this place exists, because the online care sheets I was looking at seem to be pretty wrong according to everyone around here (it's sounding like she really wouldn't be happy in an 80% humidity environment).

I got her set up in a new tank (I was told by her owner she'd outgrown her old one, which was 8 by 8 by 12) and moved her to a 12 by 12 by 18 and tried to get as many sticks and hanging plants from the pet store as I could. The selection was not great, and I'm worried she doesn't have enough hiding places. She hasn't moved about much but I think she's stressed from all the sudden changes.

Does anyone have any recommendations for improvements for this setup?

239134268_135866408713213_744014020023593481_n.jpg

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Welcome to the forum, and the hobby, brother

Forget what you've heard, ditch the hygrometer; it's old news and wildly inaccurate

Check this

How big is your T? A nano tall is big for anything other than an adult female avic and that 12x12x18 is way oversized for an avic, but perfect for a Poecilotheria ornata female *slow wink

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Hello and welcome. I am a formerly from Mass living in Maine now. This is a great place to ask questions and learn things. I have had tarantulas for 3-4 months and am constantly over worrying things and probably over complicating things. So this place has become my refuge, offering some hand holding reassurance, good advice and good humor.

Many tarantula species are hearty and resilient

Burrito

She's about the size of my palm and so I thought she was an adult (you can see her legs peeking out from the leaves on the side).

The hydrometer is a 2-in-1 with the thermometer so I can't quite remove it, haha, since I'm also using it for temperature. I am very worried about cross-ventilation though. It might be a silly question, but should I put a fan or something at the front vents at all sometimes?

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
No fan, never. Tarantulas are very sensitive to air currents and a fan will make it unhappy and want to hide in a safe, still place.
As long as the enclosure is not too wet and humid you don't need air movement.

Are far as temperature, keep it simple. If you are comfortable in a T-shirt, your tarantula will probably be too.

I keep adult avics in 8x8x12 nano tall enclosures with no issue, there's enough volume of air in there and the screened top allows good air exchange along with the vents under the door.

Don't over complicate things and don't worry

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
As for the fan in front, I would say in most cases it is not needed and likely not wanted. Regular airflow should be fine. And it has been my experience that tarantulas don't like a lot breezy air going past them.

I consider cross ventilation as having air holes across from each other in the enclosure, although some of my acrylic enclosures also have holes in the top.

I have tried increasing air flow and cooling by putting an air purifier about two feet below and away from my T enclosure. My Ts did not like it and have all built a wall to block the air.

I have my T enclosures in a homemade wooden case with just the front open, although I am considering sliding glass/acrylic doors for the future. If I do that I may have to look at air flow again.

Latest posts