• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello from Maine, USA

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Hello all,

I have had a on again off again interest in tarantulas and spiders for decades, just never owned one.

I am hoping to change that later this spring or summer, and have already bought a few enclosures from Tarantula Cribs (I am thoroughly impressed with the company and enclosures).

Maine has some strict regulations on possessing
wildlife , with only three tarantulas on the unrestricted list. All are Grammostola: Pulchra, Pulchripes, Rosea.

In comparison, there are about 140 reptiles and amphibians on the unrestricted list. I do know that the Maine Herpetological Society has been educating the state and residents about the care of these animals for decades.

There is some hope as the law does allow for residents to petition to change the status of animals, so I believe there are opportunities to add to the unrestricted list.

And in the past the laws regarding tarantulas have been both more stringent and more open depending on the year.

So i think time will tell.

timc

3 Year Member
Welcome! I remember reading about those laws in Maine a couple years ago and thinking how crazy they were. I guess the legislature has their reasons but it’s not like you guys are Florida lol. Either way, those three Grammostola are outstanding species.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Welcome! I remember reading about those laws in Maine a couple years ago and thinking how crazy they were. I guess the legislature has their reasons but it’s not like you guys are Florida lol. Either way, those three Grammostola are outstanding species.
Maine has gone back and forth on tarantulas and I do believe that if there was more interest that more would be on the list. I remember about 20 years ago or so you just needed to apply for a permit and submit information that you could care for the animals. I had a permit to "import" as it was called several tarantulas, primarily Brachypelma Smithi, Chilean Rose Hair and another. One of each. I never did get them. I got a boa constricter instead.

Then maybe about 10 years ago, you needed to prove you were using the tarantulas for professional or educational purposes.

So now seems better than it could be.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Welcome, some of my favorite stories are set in Maine, Dairy to be exact.
Hmm, do you mean Derry, the fictional municipality created by Stephen King? If so, i believe it was based on the city of Bangor where King had and maybe still has a home. He also owned a rock radio station there.

Latest posts