• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello from Louisville, Kentucky

I have recently gotten back into Tarantulas. I decided to go with 2 T. albopilosus slings (both only about 1/2 inch.) and a T. vagans sling (3/4 inch).
My original back in the day Tarantulas, I got at a big box store, sold me all kinds of stuff I didnt need and they didnt last very long, with the information I was given on how to care for them.
They were supposed to of been 2 (four inch) Mexican Red Knees. Which looked nothing like the picture I pull up now online. Which only lived roughly about a year.

So far I am kind of a helicopter parent over my 3 little ones.

Thanks all!!!

Bill

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hello Bill, welcome back to the hobby. :)
It sounds as though you'd fallen for the old trick of being sold mature male tarantulas by these stores. This is why we recommend buying from reputable breeders so you get what you really want.
I hope you get to enjoy your 3 new little ones for many years.

Hello Bill, welcome back to the hobby. :)
It sounds as though you'd fallen for the old trick of being sold mature male tarantulas by these stores. This is why we recommend buying from reputable breeders so you get what you really want.
I hope you get to enjoy your 3 new little ones for many years.
The last few years I have been following several you tubers and their tarantulas. So far I have only delt with Fear Not Tarantulas, as far as buying. They seem like good people dealing with all my emails and questions.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The last few years I have been following several you tubers and their tarantulas. So far I have only delt with Fear Not Tarantulas, as far as buying. They seem like good people dealing with all my emails and questions.

There are some great sellers on here too, check out the review section.

Konstantin

3 Year Member
I have recently gotten back into Tarantulas. I decided to go with 2 T. albopilosus slings (both only about 1/2 inch.) and a T. vagans sling (3/4 inch).
My original back in the day Tarantulas, I got at a big box store, sold me all kinds of stuff I didnt need and they didnt last very long, with the information I was given on how to care for them.
They were supposed to of been 2 (four inch) Mexican Red Knees. Which looked nothing like the picture I pull up now online. Which only lived roughly about a year.

Thanks all!!!

Bill

Hi and welcome
Great species to start with.Do let us know if there is anything we can help you with.
Also if you haven't checked Tom's Big Spiders on YouTube I will advise you to do so.
He has lots of husbandry and general care videos on different species and is one of the few trustworthy resources out there that is focused on spiders welfare rather than just getting views and attention.
Regards Konstantin

Noodlelove

Thanks all!!!

Bill

Mine are still alive and I'm a first-time mama. The albos seem kind of hardy you. I really wish you well and this is an awesome forum.

Hi and welcome
Great species to start with.Do let us know if there is anything we can help you with.
Also if you haven't checked Tom's Big Spiders on YouTube I will advise you to do so.
He has lots of husbandry and general care videos on different species and is one of the few trustworthy resources out there that is focused on spiders welfare rather than just getting views and attention.
Regards Konstantin
I've watched a ton of Tom's Big Spiders videos. Some several times and always picking up new things I missed the first time through.

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
Thats good to hear.
Any specific questions that you have just post them in the appropriate sub forums .Tarantula keeping is much easier than keeping other pets.A lot of new keepers often overcomplicate things or stress unnecessary over tarantula care and their behaviour.
Regards Konstantin

Latest posts