• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello! First Time Tarantula Owner... {video links included}

Zaxtor99

3 Year Member
Hello everyone.

I just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. I am a 43 year old male living in Idaho in the northwest Rocky mountain region of the United States.

While I have always been creeped out by ordinary spiders, I have also found them fascinating and held a dim desire to perhaps one day get a pet tarantula. I finally did a little research online and decided to go with a supposedly very docile Mexican Red Knee as I wanted something that would likely not run too fast up my arm or bite me if I ever gain enough courage to try and hold it, lol.

No pet stores in my area had any of the Mexican Red Knee, so I finally decided to order one from a local reptile shop and decided to go with the mom&pop kinda reptile shop over some big national chain to help support them. They wanted $110 to order me a 2" Mexican Red Knee. I talked them down to $100 and got it in about a week later. I made this video a day or so after getting him to my home and putting him/her into his new 10 gallon terrarium I had set up.

Here is that video:

It took me a few days to come up with a name for him, but finally decided to go with "Soda" as that will work well if this spider turns out to be a male or female and Soda was the name of a nearby Oregon/Idaho open range fire that burned about 300,000 acres and smoked out this entire valley at the time I got my first new spider as a pet. ...Seemed like a fitting name. The red markings on the adult Mexican Red Knee and a wildfire are the same color and tarantulas seem like they could be wild and unpredictable just like our recent local Soda fire.

Anyhow, after a week, I decided to try feeding him a dubia roach that I have been breeding now for about two years to feed our bearded dragon. Even though I selected a pretty big dubia roach compared the my spider's size, I was pretty surprised at how hard that roach fought and how long it lasted. I have over 36 minutes of footage from Soda's first feeding from me here:

Anyhow, I hope you all enjoy the videos I have linked you to, and I plan on posting more videos in the future including when I first attempt to hold him (if ever) lol.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated and a warm "hello" to everyone again!

I would love feedback on how much I "overpaid" for this Spider as well, hehe.

- Zaxx

bookac

3 Year Member
Hello Zax :)

Soda is gorgeus ^^ I am also first time tarantula owner, so i am new to this aswell. You have nice terraruim setup, but as a read and watch videos, i think that your terrarium is to big for her. But maybe i am wrong :) , you should get tips and feedback from more expirenced people :)

Cant wait to see her full colors when she developed :)
Bookac

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
10 GAL is too big for a 2 inch tarantula.
I keep my adult B.smithi in a 5.5 Gal enclosure and that's plenty of room for a tarantula of that size. A 2 inch spider can be kept in a small kritter keeper or plastic container.