• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello, ex- arachnophobe, new to hobby, from the U.K

Tabitha

3 Year Member
hello all, I am from the u.k and new here, I keep Chameleons, snakes, dart frogs, insects, jumping spiders, day geckos and various others, I’m an artist and for fun I paint my reptiles and want to paint some t’s too soon.
I’ve been petrified of spiders all my life, to the point it was a serious issue for me,
A year ago I got a jumping spider so I could start to overcome my fears, now I keep tarantulas! at the same time a friend, who also was afraid of spiders, from another forum, got jumpers then went onto become a keeper of several species too so Phiddipus have been great as starter spiders.
I would never of believed I would be in the same room as a spider let alone tarantulas but I keep my T’s in my bedroom, I proud to say I adore them and I love to watch them, and am planning to get more, I have a B hamorii called Phoebe who is 10 cm and a acanthoscurria geniculata, Ofelia, about 8cm and tomorrow a B. Albopilosum, Pandora, arrives tomorrow. I really want to get some more species too.
So hello all and I’m keen to read up and learn as I see how very fascinating and wonderful these creatures are.

Here are my beautiful girls.
F686D0AC-7601-4CA7-96A3-8DCB1D73F09C.jpeg
CA33D2B5-FA84-43F7-BC8C-1BE72AE2685F.jpeg

Tabitha

3 Year Member
Uh oh! I forgot, I have a Chaco golden knee too, Aurelia but she’s so tiny, she’s molted a good five times now but still only 1 or 2cm but she’s very poretty.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Uh oh! I forgot, I have a Chaco golden knee too, Aurelia but she’s so tiny, she’s molted a good five times now but still only 1 or 2cm but she’s very poretty.
Welcome to the forum and the hobby, you'll find that raising tarantulas is addicting. I am a former arachnophobe myself, so I know the feeling. You have a nice, small collection there. I have all three species as well.

Tabitha

3 Year Member
Thank you very much, im glad you understand the fear!
I am playing it safe and going for the slower new worlds at the moment,
don’t want to go into rehab and set the therapy back!!!:D
Definitely have my eye on some other species though.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thank you very much, im glad you understand the fear!
I am playing it safe and going for the slower new worlds at the moment,
don’t want to go into rehab and set the therapy back!!!:D
Definitely have my eye on some other species though.
That's a great way to approach the hobby. That's how I started in 2014 now I am at 42 tarantulas of various temperaments. If you want an excellent beginner species, the E. Sp. red has no equal, they are slow growing however.

Tabitha

3 Year Member
Wow! 42! So they ARE additive!
That’s amazing!
And thanks for the tip on the E sp red, just checked them out on google, very nice indeed, I will make a note and try and get one at a show that’s coming up in the autumn.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi and welcome :)
I think you'd be surprised just how many of us have been arachnophobes in the past, I still don't like spiders loose in the house although not as bad as I used to be. I bought 1 T to help me over the fear and now have 90+ :rolleyes:

Tabitha

3 Year Member
HI Enn49, thanks for the reply, I nearly didn’t say about having issues with spiders, being on a spider forum! but it’s very interesting that many people feel the same, I have realised the long thing legs that I don’t like, short furry T legs are fine, also the element of surprise I can’t deal with, I know the T’s are here and so I’m fine, it’s suddenly finding a spider without warning I don’t like.
Still, I’m pleased to be here and I so enjoy watching and learning from mine, they are in glass vivs so I can see them all the time.
So 4 down and 86 to go then.
Cheers.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I think it's time to channel my inner enabler and assist in turning the @Tabitha into an addicted hobbyist like most of us.

Here are some good species to look into if you are curious:

You already know about this one: E. Sp. red (my MM)
image.jpeg

B. schroederi (maybe these are popular across the pond because they are not common here in the states)(I was lucky to get mine).

image.jpeg

B. emilia

image.jpeg

E. campestratus

image.jpeg

P. (this is my sling)

image.jpeg

Note: I am a bad influence in a good way

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hmmmmm

Here are some others to enable your addiction further.

C versicolor

Versicolor 2molt6.jpg

L klugi

L Klugi ultimate pic 2.jpg

And lastly an OW, a bit pricey but a great introduction to baboon tarantulas. None other then....

H pulchripes

H pulchripes Hybris cage care 1.jpg

Now to really go over to the dark side of the addiction for good.

P sp machala

P machala Persephone molted 6.jpg

Of these, Pamphobeteus probably has the most variety as well as the greatest price differences.

Tabitha

3 Year Member
Thank you @PanzoN88
well.. I think thank you!!! I’m not sure, the list is growing, oh dear!
That’s really helpful to have some suggestions and those are great photos. I nearly got an Emilia the other day actually, but I’m keeping notes of suggestions and will google to check them out further,
Thank you very much!

Latest posts