• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello Everyone...

Hello, im new to the Tarantula world kind of. I've thought about getting one for a long time now and I'm finally ready to. I've been researching them and I believe, that i want a GBB. to start out with. But I wanted to see what others think is a good starter.

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Welcome to the forum!
I can't advise you about what you should get first as I'm in Australia and can only keep native species so I've had to start with old world tarantulas.
Personally I'd say get whatever takes your fancy. As long as you research well before hand you shouldn't have a problem, and there's plenty of helpful people here to guide you on your way.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Welcome to the forum. A Gbb isn't a bad first T. They're skittish and quick but not defensive. Husbandry wise they are great for beginners. I'd start out with a sling so you can grow with it...a juvenile or adult might be a little overwhelming at first.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Practically any brachy species is good as a large juvenile or sub adult. B vagens grows quickly and looks good so larger spiderlings are a viable choice.

Personally if I had to buy mine all over again easiest to most challenging, I'd start with my Lasiodora Klugi. Any member of the Lasiodora genus will grow fast, eat consistently and are fairly hardy needing no real special climate conditions. Frog moss and a little additional moisture are appreciated however. LP slings and juveniles can even be purchased for under $20 and most attain an 8" leg span.

Acanoscurria species are also awesome for much of the same reasons as Lasiodora species are.

If for some reason you insist on handling, pink zebra beauties or curly hairs can commonly be handled. Having said that, it's a needless risk and a paintbrush, catch cup and lid are your best friends.

If you want to do an arboreal, consider C versicolor, which is one of the most beautiful spiders on Earth or the pink toe. These guys have a much steeper learning curve. C versicolor was my very first one, somewhat chaotic.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hello and welcome :)
Choose what you really like as a first T. I got slated for buying an OBT as my first T, I survived. As long as you know what they're capable of and take every care to avoid accidents go for it.

SpellKaster4

Hello! I'm pretty new to the hobby and the forum too. Don't worry though, from my experience here everyone is super helpful and friendly. I just got my first tarantula on the 15th. I went with a Lasiodora parahybana. Based off what I was told both here and else where it seems the Lasiodora family is a good starting place. What little I know is limited to LPs but I know they are usually pretty cheap if that's important to you. I got mine from Swift's Inverts for $10. Pretty neat site. There's a $20 minimum but you get a free tarantula with every order so that's cool. Anyway, welcome!

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello! I'm pretty new to the hobby and the forum too. Don't worry though, from my experience here everyone is super helpful and friendly. I just got my first tarantula on the 15th. I went with a Lasiodora parahybana. Based off what I was told both here and else where it seems the Lasiodora family is a good starting place. What little I know is limited to LPs but I know they are usually pretty cheap if that's important to you. I got mine from Swift's Inverts for $10. Pretty neat site. There's a $20 minimum but you get a free tarantula with every order so that's cool. Anyway, welcome!
I'm confused, don't you only have the one sling, Peter?

SpellKaster4

I'm confused, don't you only have the one sling, Peter?
Yeah, Peter is my only one. At the pet store I work at we have this regular who is the one who got me into the hobby. He set me up with enclosures, tips, everything and never asked for anything in return. So when I found out I would get a freebie from Swift's Inverts I gave the freebie to him as a way of saying thank you.

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yeah, Peter is my only one. At the pet store I work at we have this regular who is the one who got me into the hobby. He set me up with enclosures, tips, everything and never asked for anything in return. So when I found out I would get a freebie from Swift's Inverts I gave the freebie to him as a way of saying thank you.
I can certainly appreciate that, I might well have done the same.
It puts a lot of pressure on Peter though! :)

Latest posts