• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello everyone!

Floodmeister

3 Year Member
First time T owner here. I've always had a fascination with tarantulas and other exotic pets, When I was a kid I owned several ball pythons, corn snakes, and 2 Emperor scorpions. Currently I have a 5 year old Reef tank, and a planted aquarium. After watching a Dark Den video, it revitalized my interest in owning tarantulas and began months of research. I've watched a lot of YouTube videos(The Dark Den, Tom Moran, Jon3800, etc.), bought The Tarantula Keepers Guide, bought all the necessary supplies and researched what species I thought would be good to start with.

This past weekend I visited the East Coast Reptile Super Expo and I will admit I went in with a plan with what species I wanted to start off with, but when I got in there, I became a little impulsive, and ended walking out with a C. cyaneopubescens sling around 1.5 inches for $30 and a A. seemanni that was about 4+ inches for $32. While there I was allowed to hold the A. seemanni, I had never planned to hold my T's but the temptation to hold a giant tarantula got the better of me and ultimately swayed me into purchasing it. The GBB was on my list of future tarantulas to get but after seeing the price half of what I normally see them at online, I impulsively purchased it as well.

After researching my new arrivals a little more in depth later that night, I began to question if I really started off with the right species. So far the GBB molted that night, so I've held off on feeding it till today and now I'm glad I purchased a large Sterilite container to put its enclosure in when I open it to feed, that little dude is quicker than I thought. It didn't seem interested in eating so i'll try again in a few days. The A. seemanni seems to be doing great and is making great little burrow, I've held off on feeding for a few more days as it settles in. In the meantime I've made sure they both have access to clean water.

What advice would you give a new owner with these species? Any advice and/or criticism would be greatly appreciated! I really want to make sure I give these little dudes a long and healthy life.

Thanks everyone, I hope to learn from you all, continue expand further into the hobby in the future and not impulsively purchase T's I'm not ready for.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hello and welcome to the hobby :). I don't personally have experience of those Ts but I'm sure someone will be along soon to give you advice.

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have a GBB that was a one incher when I got her. They are fast growing. Awesome spiders that build really cool web houses. Expect your GBB to molt frequently and often. GBB slings are fast, but harmless. Not the best species to hold since they can be a little skittish, but a great first T. As they grow, they get so colorful. One of my favorite species. My ode:

GBB? I do agree.
It is afraid of me not and webs a lot.
Its color is bright and eats alright
Its one of the best T's that I got.

A. seemani is probably docile enough to hold--especially as they get bigger. They kinda chill out then. My local breeder friend has 4-5 of them. Great first choices.

I started with a Chaco Golden Knee sling. I got so tired of waiting for it to grow I picked up a A. chalcodes 4 inch female from Ken the Bug Guy....and the addiction began......

Welcome to the community. Great to have you aboard.

Floodmeister

3 Year Member
Honestly that makes me feel a lot better. I honestly cannot wait for the GBB to show its adult coloration. I don't plan on holding any of them but I did want to have experience with handling just in case, even though I use tongs and a paintbrush to do anything in the enclosures, I wanted to be a bit more prepared for the unexpected. How often did you feed your GBB and how long did you wait till after it molted? From what I've read I've been seeing around 3-4 days after molting and about once a week to feed normally for this size. From what I can estimate, its around ~2 inches. I've tried feeding it a small meal worm and after a couple of hours of not touching it I tried a small wax worm which again sat there for a few more hours.

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Try crickets. My GBB isn't very fond of worms. In general, The GBB is a voracious eater until it is in pre-molt (which is often since they grow quickly). At 2 inches, your buddy will need 5-6 days before feeding him after a molt. But don't worry. After 24 hours, no feeder can hurt it. Your T knows best. If there is a worm in the enclosure and his fangs haven't hardened from a recent molt, he won't try to eat. I feed my GBB a cricket or a worm 2x per week. She is a sub-adult now so I guess I could cut back to a few crickets per month. Again, congrats on the Ts. Let us know if you have any concerns.

Latest posts