• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello everyone!! New T owner…

Sbirtell1

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah, and this is my introduction. I recently acquired a 1-2 month old Black Brazilian T that needed to be re-homed. I’ve been wanting one for the last 4 years, but never jumped on the wagon. I was also deathly afraid of spiders, and knew this was the only way to get over my phobia (just how I got over my fear of snakes).

Long story short, I’m waiting for it to molt. Not sure if it’s a male or female. It seems healthy, moves (slowly). The previous owner said it ate medium crickets 2-3x a week. Also, it tolerates being handled! Not skiddish at all, which I understand is common of this species.

I’ve been leaving it alone since it’s in a new environment. I’ve researched and researched as much as I could, did my homework on their basic care. I love all animals and want to give it the best care I can give. Any pointers or information would be of great help. I take constructive criticism very well, especially when it comes to the health of an animal.

It hasn’t moved much, which I’m assuming it means it’s not stressed out? It’s just been sitting on the log all day. I was reading on their behaviors such as stress and aggression to avoid that at all costs. Here he/she is. Thanks again for taking the time out to read my intro!

-Sarah

Attachments

• E89F94FF-3F0D-4CE6-9753-7CEA97B75A4B.jpeg
    E89F94FF-3F0D-4CE6-9753-7CEA97B75A4B.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 31
  • C7381F70-79CA-4317-A803-672D11972FC9.jpeg
    C7381F70-79CA-4317-A803-672D11972FC9.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 33
  • 1108CEE8-EBCD-457C-B2FE-76558CD34B7C.jpeg
    1108CEE8-EBCD-457C-B2FE-76558CD34B7C.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 30
  • 9A87A204-0130-4500-AAE3-BA36611ABA31.jpeg
    9A87A204-0130-4500-AAE3-BA36611ABA31.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 33

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Yes welcome. You will find lots of caring people with a lot of experience and insight here.

I have had tarantulas for about seven months so hopefully others with more experience will chime in.

Your tarantula (the scientific name for the Brazilian Black tarantula is Grammostola pulchra or G. pulchra) is much much older than 1-2 months you stated. Not sure if that was a typo. It is closer to 1-2 years, likely older based on feeding habits.

You seem to have a lot of the right things in place, but G. pulchra are terrestrial tarantulas and don't need tall terrariums as they could fall and be hurt. Generally people recommend that the distance between cage top and substrate be about 1 to 1.5x the spider's diagonal leg length.

Your enclosure seems tall, but I am not clear if it is too tall. There are some who keep terrestrial tarantulas in tall enclosures, but I tend to worry.

Also, if the top is wire mesh, the concern is that the terrestrial T could get stuck in the mesh. There are some who think otherwise, but again I worry. I did buy on Etsy a thin acrylic/plastic replacement top for my Exo Terra 8x8x8 inch enclosure.

Before making any changes, wait for other responses. I still consider myself somewhat of a newbie.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Welcome to the group. Beautiful first tarantula by the way. Your spider is more like 2-3 years old however. ;)
I hate to have to tell you but your enclosure is for a arboreal species.
You need to get a low profile enclosure to lower the risk of injury to your little friend. Heres some photos of my Grammostola pulchra. Everything else looks great though.
20211204_190729.jpg
20211204_190623.jpg
20211204_190613.jpg
20211204_190554.jpg

Sbirtell1

Yes welcome. You will find lots of caring people with a lot of experience and insight here.

I have had tarantulas for about seven months so hopefully others with more experience will chime in.

Your tarantula (the scientific name for the Brazilian Black tarantula is Grammostola pulchra or G. pulchra) is much much older than 1-2 months you stated. Not sure if that was a typo. It is closer to 1-2 years, likely older based on feeding habits.

You seem to have a lot of the right things in place, but G. pulchra are terrestrial tarantulas and don't need tall terrariums as they could fall and be hurt. Generally people recommend that the distance between cage top and substrate be about 1 to 1.5x the spider's diagonal leg length.

Your enclosure seems tall, but I am not clear if it is too tall. There are some who keep terrestrial tarantulas in tall enclosures, but I tend to worry.

Also, if the top is wire mesh, the concern is that the terrestrial T could get stuck in the mesh. There are some who think otherwise, but again I worry. I did buy on Etsy a thin acrylic/plastic replacement top for my Exo Terra 8x8x8 inch enclosure.

Before making any changes, wait for other responses. I still consider myself somewhat of a newbie.
Hey Dusty!

Thank you very much for the input! I don’t think it would be able to climb on glass unless it used the tree? It definitely can’t reach the lid unless it jumped Off the tree. The leaves are very flimsy and just used for hiding or decor purposes. Its an exo-terra terrarium I believe 12Lx12Wx18H With 4 inches of coco fiber bedding for it to burrow if it chose to. I was told it was a couple months old. In which I don’t mind the age.

Anywayes, I did read it was a ground dweller that’s why I didn’t put in anything it could climb on. I figured the floor space would be enough and not too much. I figured the bigger area would stress it out. I couldn‘t find or order anything in time enclosure wise, so I found this one. I like the front opening instead of just a top opening when I wanted to reach in and take it out. I’m sure seeing a big ol’ hand coming from up top would be a little scary for the little one. Lol

So you’re saying it’s closer to 1-2 years old?

Sbirtell1

Welcome to the group. Beautiful first tarantula by the way. Your spider is more like 2-3 years old however. ;)
I hate to have to tell you but your enclosure is for a arboreal species.
You need to get a low profile enclosure to lower the risk of injury to your little friend. Heres some photos of my Grammostola pulchra. Everything else looks great though.View attachment 61584View attachment 61585View attachment 61586View attachment 61587
Thanks arachnoclown! When it gets bigger in 6 months to a year I plan to get it a longer/slightly bigger enclosure. This is temporary, and I made sure there wasn’t anything it could climb on so it couldn't fall. Plus this baby was in a similar housing and I was trying to make the transition as smooth as possible. Is that a zoomed enclosure? And the dimensions? Again this was a last minute pick up. So I didn’t wanna stress him out too much with a whole new environment. If it’s a few years old, when will it get to that velvet black color? Just curious….

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Actually tarantulas can be good climbers and can spin webbing as they do to make climbing more secure. Whether or not yours would try, I don't know.

Here is my 2year old+ G. pulchripes (Chaco Golden Knee) after a rehousing into an 8x6x6 acrylic enclosure. She is shown here crossing the top and hanging on the side. She is smaller/ not as filled out as your spider.

Sorry for the bright red but I use such lighting before the lights go out to allow me to watch my Ts. And this was the first time I saw her on the top too.

20210827_213445.jpg
20210827_210352.jpg

Sbirtell1

Actually tarantulas can be good climbers and can spin webbing as they do to make climbing more secure. Whether or not yours would try, I don't know.

Here is my 2year old+ G. pulchripes (Chaco Golden Knee) after a rehousing into an 8x6x6 acrylic enclosure. She is shown here crossing the top and hanging on the side. She is smaller/ not as filled out as your spider.

Sorry for the bright red but I use such lighting before the lights go out to allow me to watch my Ts. And this was the first time I saw her on the top too.

View attachment 61588View attachment 61589
Awe she’s a cutie! I’ll keep a close eye on this one. I’ll take the plant out if need be and put another hide in there. Arachneclown just sent me a link to the zoo med one that’s short and long. How long does it take for them to turn black?

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
They are at their best looking after a molt. I have two G. pulchra that are smaller than yours is and they come out a nice black, perhaps not velvety yet.
20211103_170704.jpg

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Welcome!
Love to see new members engaged and starting discussions. Have you checked out the Enclosures section?

Latest posts