• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello and some advice please :)

DThompson

3 Year Member
Hi guys!
So glad I managed to find this forum! I’ve been reading quite a bit and it looks awesome!
I’m new to the hobby and need some advice please..
I have a Brachypelma albopilosum and recently she’s been keeping to herself/himself and stopped eating, after being quite the hungry little spider! I was wondering if she/he might possibly be in pre-molt? She digs herself into the substrate underneath the bark and just stays there.. Will be getting more substrate this weekend..
Thanks!
Danette

Attachments

• 7DA82041-A493-4A6F-A9D2-0566CF6BA590.jpeg
    7DA82041-A493-4A6F-A9D2-0566CF6BA590.jpeg
    185.4 KB · Views: 23
  • D3C2A65E-636E-4C26-AA62-F5E413C8E53D.jpeg
    D3C2A65E-636E-4C26-AA62-F5E413C8E53D.jpeg
    205.5 KB · Views: 23

Dustin Amack

3 Year Member
Yes, definitely get more substrate. Does it have a good hide? I have several albos and they all have their own personality. Just keep offering it food and if it's hungry it will eat. They do what they are going to do... could be premolt, time will tell. Welcome to this awesome hobby and forum!

DThompson

3 Year Member
Hi Dustin, thanks for the quick response! I think the hide is good for her size? She burrowed herself in there pretty good.. Please let me know should you have any suggestions regarding the hide I have in currently..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 29

Dustin Amack

3 Year Member
Interesting set up, I like it. I'm guessing premolt. mine stop eating often just befor molting. Don't stress, it's doing what tarantulas do ;)

DThompson

3 Year Member
Thank you :) Would it be wise to add substrate now while she’s maybe in premolt? Or should I leave her like that for a bit? Sorry for all the questions

Dustin Amack

3 Year Member
No problem at all. If it were me, I would add substrate now. They are usually pretty hardy and I wouldn't worry too much. Just make sure your sub isn't too wet. Usually once Albo refuse a meal, a molt comes pretty quickly (at least in my experience). It's a good looking T!

Dustin Amack

3 Year Member
My younger one's seem to dig a bit more. If it want's to dig, let it. Is this your only T? My very first T was an b. albo, I think that's why I have a soft spot for them :)

DThompson

3 Year Member
They look like very docile spiders! Glad to have one.. I also have an adult female (I think) Brachypelma vagans and will be getting a Grammostola pulchripes later this week.
How many T’s do you own?

Dustin Amack

3 Year Member
I am currently down to around 30 in my collection, slowly building back up. G. pulchripes is on my list of wants as well, i'd better scoop one up while their are so many around...

Greenbay1

3 Year Member
Hi @DThompson ! Welcome to the forum. I currently have a 2" B. albopilosum sling that I never see. I swear it is fossorial :) They love to dig and burrow but this little one takes it to an extreme. Your set-up is really interesting and I would agree with Dustin that it would be beneficial to deepen the substrate. The ones I have had stay out in the open much more once they are older. Not sure about my new one who is in love with his hidey-hole!

DThompson

3 Year Member
Hi @DThompson ! Welcome to the forum. I currently have a 2" B. albopilosum sling that I never see. I swear it is fossorial :) They love to dig and burrow but this little one takes it to an extreme. Your set-up is really interesting and I would agree with Dustin that it would be beneficial to deepen the substrate. The ones I have had stay out in the open much more once they are older. Not sure about my new one who is in love with his hidey-hole!
Hi @Greenbay1, Thank you for the reply! They seem to be very shy, glad to hear that it might be getting less shy the older it gets! I will get more substrate the weekend, unfortunately the closest place is 120km away, so I have not had the opportunity to do it any sooner.. Thank you for all the help :)

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Welcome to the forum, and the hobby!
I also am very new to keeping tarantulas, my first four only arrived last week, but I had been researching for a few weeks before ordering them.
One thing though, what are you using for substrate? There are options, it doesn't necessarily have to come from a pet shop.

DThompson

3 Year Member
Welcome to the forum, and the hobby!
I also am very new to keeping tarantulas, my first four only arrived last week, but I had been researching for a few weeks before ordering them.
One thing though, what are you using for substrate? There are options, it doesn't necessarily have to come from a pet shop.
Hi Dave.. I’m using coco peat at the moment. I’m too scared to go to a nursery, as I’m not sure what should not be in the substrate and what won’t be safe, so I’m playing it safe and buying something specifically for tarantulas.. The pet shop that we have is very small and does not stock any substrate..

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Welcome to the forum and the hobby, B. albopilosum is a great species (B. albopilosum was my first), I am also raising a G. pulchripes, you are making a great choice. My sling has a very good appetite. They are quite easy to keep as well.

Again, welcome to the forum and the hobby

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi Dave.. I’m using coco peat at the moment. I’m too scared to go to a nursery, as I’m not sure what should not be in the substrate and what won’t be safe, so I’m playing it safe and buying something specifically for tarantulas.. The pet shop that we have is very small and does not stock any substrate..
As long as it doesn't claim to have added fertiliser on the label of the coco peat it will be 100% coconut fibre and fine to use as a substrate, the stuff sold as being for this or that creature is the same as the $2 blocks from a hardware store or supermarket. Even garden centres overcharge. If the peat had added fertiliser (I've never come across it and I've worked in garden centres and production nurseries) rest assured it would say so on the label and you'd be charged extra for it. The only blocks I avoid are the really big blocks as I find they are not chopped as fine and contain long coarse fibres.

DThompson

3 Year Member
Welcome to the forum and the hobby, B. albopilosum is a great species (B. albopilosum was my first), I am also raising a G. pulchripes, you are making a great choice. My sling has a very good appetite. They are quite easy to keep as well.

Again, welcome to the forum and the hobby
Hi @PanzoN88. I've had my B. albopilosum for about a month now and they look like an amazing specie to have. I just got news that my G. pulchripes is on its way today, so will have it tonight! Very excited about that! Good to know that they are easy to keep, as I am still very new to this.

DThompson

3 Year Member
As long as it doesn't claim to have added fertiliser on the label of the coco peat it will be 100% coconut fibre and fine to use as a substrate, the stuff sold as being for this or that creature is the same as the $2 blocks from a hardware store or supermarket. Even garden centres overcharge. If the peat had added fertiliser (I've never come across it and I've worked in garden centres and production nurseries) rest assured it would say so on the label and you'd be charged extra for it. The only blocks I avoid are the really big blocks as I find they are not chopped as fine and contain long coarse fibres.
Thank you for the advice.. I think I need to visit a hardware store today and see if they can help me! Everything is difficult to come by in a small town, so hopefully they will have something for me! Thank you for the help, I'll make sure to check the label for added fertilizer.