• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Heating.

Liam

Hi all, excuse the long post but im having a 3 day long bout of anxiety about heating. I keep a heat mat in between my two enclosures and put about a third/quarter on top of the mat, just so theres a bit of heat there if they want it (ive attached a picture). Ive only just turned it on as its getting colder and my room gets real cold. Both of them have stopped eating completely which ive put down to standard behaviour (g pulchra looks to be in premolt again), i just chuck a cricket in now and then and keep an eye on it, but they both stay right against the glass on the warm side so im guessing they are already cold and its going to get colder. Now, my question is this, if i get a bigger heatmat and stick it to the back wall of the bookshelf they are on and put the enclosure near/against it will that heat it enough or properly? Obviously using a thermostat so i dont end up with cooked pets.
20191022_220233.jpg

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Is it warn enough in your room to sit comfortably? If it is then your Ts will be fine without extra heat. I'm in the NE UK and my room varies between 65F and 75F most of the year and my Ts do fine.
It's not a good idea to use a heat mat under their containers if you feel you really need one as Ts burrow to cool down. A heat mat needs to be above the substrate along the back or side so you'd be better with it on the back of your bookcase.

FishermanSteve

3 Year Member
Personally, I don’t use heat mats because I want the entire room at a comfortable temp. I use a radiator style space heater, and as long as I keep the door to my t room closed that heater will keep the room warm with little effort. There have been keepers that have accidentally cooked their ts with heat mats when they burrowed. That’s why most people warn against using them. Like @Enn49 said, I also keep mine between 65-75 in the winter.

Liam

Is it warn enough in your room to sit comfortably? If it is then your Ts will be fine without extra heat. I'm in the NE UK and my room varies between 65F and 75F most of the year and my Ts do fine.
It's not a good idea to use a heat mat under their containers if you feel you really need one as Ts burrow to cool down. A heat mat needs to be above the substrate along the back or side so you'd be better with it on the back of your bookcase.
I can sit in there comfortably but i like it real cold. Cheers ill definitely move it later then and probably turn it off and see how they do.

Liam

Personally, I don’t use heat mats because I want the entire room at a comfortable temp. I use a radiator style space heater, and as long as I keep the door to my t room closed that heater will keep the room warm with little effort. There have been keepers that have accidentally cooked their ts with heat mats when they burrowed. That’s why most people warn against using them. Like @Enn49 said, I also keep mine between 65-75 in the winter.
Thats a pretty good idea to be fair, my room loses so much heat though its unreal so it would cost me a fortune to keep it warm so ive got them in the warmest corner, im just thinking about when it gets real cold. I read the same thing about heat lamps too, someones T just went under the light, stayed there and cooked. Ill figure it out though, its not like im at the north pole or anything.

SikmT7

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
If possible, your best bet would be to dedicate a room to them, especially with being how addictive this hobby is, your collection will grow quicker than you think. :) I have a room set up for my T's with a Lasko heater that has a thermostat on it. I set it to 78 degrees and it is the perfect temp for all my T's. I like to have it on the cooler side in my house as well, even in the winter I keep my heat thermostat at 60 degrees farenheit. I live in NJ and it can get pretty harsh here in the winter. Sometimes, temps drop to 10 degrees farenheit! I also put press n seal over the air conditioner to keep out the cold air from outside and have the doorway closed off to retain heat in the room. Another factor I took into consideration is that heat rises and I have my T room on the 3rd story of my house. Obviously, not everyone has an option to do this, but I would not use heat mats as I do not trust them, room heater is your best bet.

GarField000

3 Year Member

@TS. Very gooed advice here. As Enn49 explains, if the T want to cool down it will dig in the dirt.

When I started I had them in my living room and it was never cold (as I keep my snakes there to).
but when collection kept growing I used a snaketerrarium to put them in and put a heatmat on the backside off the onclousre so it would warm up the terrarium a few degrees. But soon I had 2 terrariums and need more :D.
So I know rebuild one off the bedrooms as spideroom (and I keep my own breed snakes there).
I just heat the whole room. But please remove the heatmat from under. You can put the 2 enclosures against eachother and put the mat in between.

EDIT: As english is not my native language I often need to edit when I see a typo :D