• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Heating

Jordp1493

Hi guys

Wondered if anyone can help?

I'm setting up my tank enclosure for a terrestrial and the best way I've seen is having a heat mat on the wall facing one side of the tank not touching..

My room temp is 10 degrees and dont have room for a huge heater and heard bad things about lamps

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
This is a topic that has been addressed way too much. Hit the search icon and type in heat....theres over 7000 postings on this. The search engines in the forum are full of info.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Sorry if i sound blunt but a few times a week we go through this same subject.
Screenshot_20190314-195850_Chrome.jpg

Jordp1493

Its fine I understand

People who are asking questions live in the USA? My room temps are a lot lower what would your personal advice be and I'll leave you alone :) lol my room temp is usually 10-15 and Celsius and I need 25

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
10 degrees C. is 50 degrees Fahrenheit. I personally never use heat mats, I feel if I cant heat the room to care for my pets I dont need them. That's just me though. ;) Place the heat pad on the side of the tank not anywhere near the substrate. That way your tarantula can get away from the heat if necessary. Tarantulas dont like heat...that's why they burrow during the day and come out at night when it's cool. Make sure you have a thermostat so you dont burn your house down.

tapkoote

3 Year Member
Hi guys

I'm setting up my tank enclosure for a terrestrial and the best way I've seen is having a heat mat on the wall facing one side of the tank not touching..

My room temp is 10 degrees and dont have room for a huge heater and heard bad things about lamps

Cheers
I use a 25 W light at one end of the tank, read some bad things about heat mats.

tapkoote

3 Year Member
Hi guys

Cheers
Speaking to B Smithi my two spiders.
new world terrestrials
I've had my first B Smithi for two years, he lives in the living room, in the Pacific Northwest USA. (Maybe a temperate climate, but just had 5 weeks of freezing weather. When I first got him (he was a she) & I had a struggle with sub state being too wet, then heat. Heat mat @ one one end was too warm and he stayed in his bunker all the time. I use a 25 watt bulb on one end of the tank, he comes out to it when necessary. As does the younger one.
These are spiders ...#1,( bugs) they drink dirty water and live in the condition they have.
They're not bothered by wood smoke from the wood stove/my smoking tobacco/my painting hobbies in the back room. My garage is filled with spiders who live through and reproduced all these winters with out heat and through all the hobbies I put them through.. I also feed my two T's worms out of the garden, but having raised Bees here for 30 years, I don't use chemicals out side either.My house is 65 to 70+ F. in winter,in the summer gets hotter, Gets down much lower than that at night. They both go into their bunkers at night to get warm, come out when I turn the 25 watt light in the morning, between the tanks, during the day. In the winter @ freezing, I leave the light on all night, they hover around the heated glass. But if they're hungry they "hunt" and move away. As I see it- these B Smithi's would live in the wild here but it is too ____wet, the temperature wouldn't do them in, but the dampness would. They do in Iive in California where it is dryer, but nights get cold there also.
Just my 2 cents.
If you can live in your house...so can these.---- don't know about old world spiders.

Latest posts